Exploring the Elusive Nature of Ghostly Entities in Scientific Research

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of mass in relation to optical images such as mirror reflections and shadows. It is determined that these images do not have mass as they are not physical objects. However, they can interact with other images in interesting ways. The conversation also touches on the difficulty of studying intangible phenomena such as ghosts.
Cubicks
Does my mirror reflection have mass? What about your shadow?

Science news on Phys.org
"Your mirror reflection" is not a well-defined object (same for the shadow). Asking if it has mass is about as meaningful as asking "does the color red have mass?".

That makes sense. I am not involved in Physics in anyway, it was just something that I was curious about. Thank you.

Cubicks said:
Does my mirror reflection have mass? What about your shadow?
Optical images do not consist of matter so the answer has to be no. Interestingly, your image can be seen to bump into other images and knock them over. Now there's a thought. :smile:

Cubicks said:
That makes sense.
O yes that does

zwierz said:
O yes that does

damn daemons, they always disappear in a laboratory setting, that's why we can't scientifically conduct experiments on ghosts :wink:

1. Does my reflection have mass?

Yes, your reflection does have mass. However, the amount of mass it has is negligible as it is made up of photons and does not have a physical body like you do.

2. How is it possible for my reflection to have mass if it is just a reflection?

Your reflection appears to have mass because of the way light reflects off of objects. When light hits a smooth surface, such as a mirror, it bounces off at the same angle it hit the surface. This creates the illusion of a physical object.

3. Can my reflection's mass be measured?

Technically, yes, your reflection's mass can be measured. However, the amount of mass would be so small that it would be nearly impossible to measure accurately.

4. Is my reflection's mass the same as mine?

No, your reflection's mass is not the same as yours. While it may appear to have the same mass as you, it is just a reflection and does not have a physical body with mass like you do.

5. Does my reflection's mass change if I move?

No, your reflection's mass does not change if you move. It may appear to move or change shape as you move, but its mass will remain the same as it is just a reflection of your physical body.