Does nightime sky face outer or inner galaxy?

In summary, the night time view of Earth faces the outer rim of our galaxy, while the day time view is facing right towards the center. There is a tribe of Native Americans in South America who get to see the center of the galaxy briefly just before sunrise during the winter months.
Moonrat
I recently came across an argument that stated that Earth's nighttime view pretty much always faces the outer rim of our galaxy, while the day time view is facing right towards the center, which of course we don't see due to sunlight. There was refrenced a few indian tribes in s.america who trek toward the top of the andes mountains in the winter where the Earth briefy turns center enough just to see galactic center totally naked.

I am not an astronomer, but I was under the impression that galactic center is somewhere around Sagitarius.

What part of our galaxy to we see at nightime?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
It depends upon the season. We are continual revolving around the sun so every month the sun has apparently moved to a different place in the sky. This is the zodiac, and when they say that the sun is in one of the constellations of the zodiac that means we are not able to see the stars in that section of the sky. We are able to look at the section of the sky which contains the center of the galaxy with regularity. It is my understanding that the center of the galaxy is blocked from view by intervening dust clouds.

Look along the Milky Way; you are looking at the plane of the galactic disc.
Look in the direction of Sagittarius; you are facing the centre of the galaxy.
Look in the direction of Cassiopeia; you are facing the outer rim of the galaxy.

Garth

You can see the center of the galaxy in the constellation Sagittarius. Sagittarius is visible from the northern hemisphere in the summer months. It's at about -40 degrees declination, which means that it's visible at some time of the year to everyone south of 40 degrees north latitude. Sagittarius is home to the densest part of the milky way, the band of star clouds that marks the plane of the galaxy in our skies.

- Warren

A minor correction, if I may [it's my perfectionist side emerging]. Anyone south of 50N can view the galactic center [which is at 40S] sometime during the year. It rises to a maximum of about 10 degrees above the horizon for an observer at 40N.

Fortunate be those who live where the Milky Way bulge is at its zenith around midnight during the winter months, and for whom winter brings still, cloudless nights!

Who are they, these fortunate ones?

Nereid said:
Fortunate be those who live where the Milky Way bulge is at its zenith around midnight during the winter months, and for whom winter brings still, cloudless nights!

Who are they, these fortunate ones?
Might they be Kiwis? :rofl: I wish - I'm on the other end of the stick. :blushing:

I get to see and photograph some pretty things, but I am envious of you.

They get some pretty good looks at ESO La Silla. The MW bulge is almost at the zenith in their winter sky:
http://www.eso.org/outreach/press-rel/pr-2004/phot-27-04.html

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the difference between the outer and inner galaxy?

The outer galaxy refers to the region of the Milky Way that is further away from the center, while the inner galaxy is closer to the center. This is determined by the distance from the galactic center, which is about 25,000 light years away.

2. Does the nighttime sky face the outer or inner galaxy?

The nighttime sky faces both the outer and inner galaxy. However, the portion of the sky that is visible to us is mostly facing the outer galaxy, as we are located on the outer edge of the Milky Way.

3. How can we determine which part of the galaxy the nighttime sky is facing?

We can determine which part of the galaxy the nighttime sky is facing by observing the location of stars and constellations in the sky. The Milky Way is visible as a band of stars across the sky, and its location and orientation can give us an idea of which part of the galaxy we are facing.

4. Can we see the inner galaxy at night?

Yes, we can see the inner galaxy at night. However, due to the brightness of the stars and other celestial objects in this region, they may be more difficult to see compared to the outer galaxy. Additionally, light pollution from cities and other sources can make it harder to see the inner galaxy.

5. Does the nighttime sky look different in different parts of the world?

Yes, the nighttime sky can look different in different parts of the world. This is due to factors such as latitude, light pollution, and weather conditions. For example, the southern hemisphere has a different perspective of the Milky Way compared to the northern hemisphere.