Does OP mean the original post or poster?

In summary, the conversation discussed the different meanings of the acronym "OP" which can stand for either "original post" or "original poster". The context in which it is used determines its meaning. Some also use it as shorthand for "other post" or "original purpose". It is primarily used in internet forums and may not have a direct translation into "normal English".
jostpuur
Does OP mean the "original post" or poster?

Does OP mean the "original post", or the person how posted the original post, like "original poster"?

Physics news on Phys.org
I suppose it can refer to either. It works either way.

The OP seems confused on the issue. Maybe this will help.

The opening post would be synonymous with the opening poster.

So "OP" has become a new word, that cannot be translated into normal English outside internet forums? :confused:

christianjb said:
The OP seems confused on the issue. Maybe this will help.

But I asked a very specific question in my OP!

The context of the use should clarify which is suitable. There are only two options.

Amazing, I was wondering about this exact question the other day. I have only used it in terms of 'oringal post'. 'opening post' may also be a possible definition.

jostpuur said:
So "OP" has become a new word, that cannot be translated into normal English outside internet forums? :confused:

But I asked a very specific question in my OP!

Well, have you ever LOLed at someone in real life? What then makes you think that OP has to have a real life equivalent? :biggrin:

I use it as "other post" on Mondays and "original purpose" on Thursdays. I improvise the rest of the week.

In EE, OP-Amp is an 'OPerational Amplifier'. An OP's mean depends on the context or environment.

jostpuur said:

Astronuc said:
In EE, OP-Amp is an 'OPerational Amplifier'. An OP's mean depends on the context or environment.

As Astronuc says, context is important, and this is true even of some "normal English" words.

For example, consider the word "bear".

The bear ate his dog.

He cannot bear the loss of his dog.

I'm sure there other such examples.

What does OP mean?

OP stands for "original post" or "original poster."

What is the difference between "original post" and "original poster"?

The original post refers to the first post made in a discussion or thread, while the original poster refers to the person who made that post.

Why is it important to know if OP means "original post" or "original poster"?

Knowing the meaning of OP is important in online discussions and forums because it helps clarify who is being referenced and avoids confusion.

Why do people use the term "OP" instead of "original post" or "original poster"?

Using "OP" is often quicker and more convenient, especially in online discussions where brevity is valued. It also allows for anonymity, as the original poster's username does not need to be mentioned.

Is "OP" a universally understood term?

While "OP" is commonly used in online discussions and forums, it may not be understood by everyone. It is important to clarify if necessary to ensure effective communication.