Does parallel universe exists ?

In summary: Inflation" happened again, but this time it blew apart the level I multiverses as well. So basically, everything that happened in level I universes would be happening in level II universes as well, but we can't see them because they are hidden behind a wall of 'light echo' created by the level I universes crashing into each other.Level IIILevel III multiverses are the ones we are most interested in. They are the ones that allow for time travel.So, in level III multiverses, the idea is that the 'light echo' created by level I universes crashing into each other has stopped. This means that we can see all the way to the end of
Astronomy news on Phys.org

Although Everett's http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Many-worlds_interpretation" is considered mainstream, it's not the only one out there. In fact, a poll taken during the Quantum Mechanics workshop in 1997 revealed the Copenhagen interpretation was more widely accepted, although leading physicists have said for the last 20 years it should not be considered primary, and there are other theories, including MWI and decoherence, which explain it better.

Here's a http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interpretation_of_quantum_mechanics#Comparison"of the most common interpretations.

Last edited by a moderator:

Detecting parallel universes is the issue. We have not, and probably never will. I rate that hypothesis roughly equivalent to the tooth fairy.

Chronos said:
Detecting parallel universes is the issue. We have not, and probably never will. I rate that hypothesis roughly equivalent to the tooth fairy.

how can you say that much surely that parallel universe are just like a tooth fairy ,it may be possible,because scientists confirmed that time travel is possible, but they are not getting the way ,how it can be done? that's the main problem.

So what is exactly parallel universe?

Here I claim that there are gazillion of them. Prove me wrong.

Or, here I claim that there is none. Prove me wrong.

S.Vasojevic said:
So what is exactly parallel universe?

once look at this link-
http://leminuteur.free.fr/us/Universes.htm

Hmmm, parallel universes, this is a very complex topic, but I will try and describe it as clearly as I can.

At the moment, most scientists believe in 4 'levels' of different universes, or multiverses. Each level is a different scenario of how we think parallel Universes could arise and what they would be like. I'll just go through them one by one, but won't bother much with Level II and IV multiverses because they are nasty.

Level I

Note: In this, Universe applies to all the little universes (such as our own) put together.

Level I multiverses are based around the idea of 'Inflation'. Inflation is what we believe stopped all the matter created by the Big Bang recollapsing into itself moments after its spontaneous creation due to it own titanic gravity. I won't explain inflation here, that would take ages, just think of it as the heat of the Universe making it expand very quickly. Anyway, what many scientists think, is that inflation blew apart all the little 'grains' of early Universe that were starting to condense into smaller areas of space such as our own. This left all the little 'bubbles' of space stranded far away from each other, separated by billions of light years worth of void. I'll try to explain it in a diagram. We are area 'A' and there is another area 'B' which got separated from us in the moments after the big bang.<-- area A, 13.7 billion light years radii -- > <- 50 billion light years gap - > <-- area B, 13.7 billion light years radii -- >As the diagram above shows, both areas A and B can only see things in a sphere, radius 13.7 billion light years around themselves (Yes, I know Earth isn't the centre of our area of space (or universe), but because physics is broken, every point in our area of space/universe looks like the centre of it). But, due to inflation there is a gap 50 billion light years wide in between the two areas, which means neither area will encroach on the other, or be aware of the other's presence for another 50 billion years. Effectively, they can be thought of as different universes.

Seeing as matter can pop out of nowhere in a vicious way, we can effectively think of the number of these small, separate universes as being infinate. You might think this would lead to an infinate number of different universes, but, quantum mechanics tells us that there is only a finate number of ways of putting together all the atoms in our universe, an enormous number, yes, but not an infnate number. This means that somewhere, approximately 10^10^115 metres away, there is an exact copy of our Universe. We can then lead this on to say that anything you can think of the Universe being like, will exist. Which means that there could be a universe where life took an extra 1000 years to develop, but apart from that is exactly the same, so if you could travel there, you would essentially have gone 1000 years into the past.

Of couse, finding out which universe you want to go to, and how to get there may be impossible, but nevertheless, the chances of such a scenario as described above being reality, are pretty high.

Level II

Level II multiverses arn't worth talking about much. Essentially, a level II multiverse scenario is if the Universe (There's only one main universe for this unlike Level I) has multiple 'buds' of smaller universes, formed from minature Big Bangs, leading off it via wormholes. If you found a way of traveling through wormholes you could go to them, but physicists expect that in bud universes, there is a good chance of universal constants being different. For example, gravity could not exist, or magnetism could be strong enough to tear us apart, so you wouldn't want to go to them.

Level III

Our current idea of what Level III multiverses are and how they form was first thought up by the American scientist Hugh Everett III, he invented the 'Many Worlds Interpretation' of quantum mechanics which essentialy states that whenever a decision is made, a two or more new realities form, each accomodating for each possible outcome. This would lead to an incredibly large number of parallel Universes, seeing as even the slightest movement of an electron could be considered a decision.

The famous 'Schrodinger's Cat Box' thought experiment captures the essence of a Level III multiverse rather well. Whilst the box is closed, only 1 reality exists, the moment the box is opened it splits into 2 realities - one in which the cat is dead, the other in which the cat is alive. Of course, this is very simplified but it does explain the basics.

Level IV

Level IV Universes are aslo not worth talking about seeing as they are the least likely. Essentially the theory behind it is, that each mathematical function has a Universe which was created by it. In a way, Level IV and Level II multiverses are similar seeing as universal constants would be different and probably kill you if you tried to go there.And that's all I'll write for now, I'm sorry if it sounded like a science lesson, but I hope you enjoyed it.

(c) Max Tegmark

Kracatoan said:
<-- area A, 13.7 billion light years radii -- > <- 50 billion light years gap - > <-- area B, 13.7 billion light years radii -- >

Nop, this is not Tegmark.

Tegmark just invented a theory of Level IV multi-verses, a theory which most scientists think of as nonsense.

I would say, currently a minority of scientists have accepted MUH. Once you accepted MUH (and MWI) the next step (Level IV) is unevitable.

Kracatoan said:
This means that somewhere, approximately 10^10^115 metres away, there is an exact copy of our Universe.

Not if you leave 50 bly gaps, between Hubble volumes.

10^10^115 is a lot bigger than 50bly.

Kracatoan said:
10^10^115 is a lot bigger than 50bly.

Yes it is. Anyway, I think that, that estimate relates to one HOMOGENOUS universe, which is spatially infinite or simply big enough. You can search for identical arrangement of matter for volume of any radius, smaller or bigger than Hubble radius.

Kracatoan said:
Hmmm, parallel universes, this is a very complex topic, but I will try and describe it as clearly as I can.

At the moment, most scientists believe in 4 'levels' of different universes, or multiverses. Each level is a different scenario of how we think parallel Universes could arise and what they would be like. I'll just go through them one by one, but won't bother much with Level II and IV multiverses because they are nasty.

Level I

Note: In this, Universe applies to all the little universes (such as our own) put together.

Level I multiverses are based around the idea of 'Inflation'. Inflation is what we believe stopped all the matter created by the Big Bang recollapsing into itself moments after its spontaneous creation due to it own titanic gravity. I won't explain inflation here, that would take ages, just think of it as the heat of the Universe making it expand very quickly. Anyway, what many scientists think, is that inflation blew apart all the little 'grains' of early Universe that were starting to condense into smaller areas of space such as our own. This left all the little 'bubbles' of space stranded far away from each other, separated by billions of light years worth of void. I'll try to explain it in a diagram. We are area 'A' and there is another area 'B' which got separated from us in the moments after the big bang.

<-- area A, 13.7 billion light years radii -- > <- 50 billion light years gap - > <-- area B, 13.7 billion light years radii -- >

As the diagram above shows, both areas A and B can only see things in a sphere, radius 13.7 billion light years around themselves (Yes, I know Earth isn't the centre of our area of space (or universe), but because physics is broken, every point in our area of space/universe looks like the centre of it). But, due to inflation there is a gap 50 billion light years wide in between the two areas, which means neither area will encroach on the other, or be aware of the other's presence for another 50 billion years. Effectively, they can be thought of as different universes.

Seeing as matter can pop out of nowhere in a vicious way, we can effectively think of the number of these small, separate universes as being infinate. You might think this would lead to an infinate number of different universes, but, quantum mechanics tells us that there is only a finate number of ways of putting together all the atoms in our universe, an enormous number, yes, but not an infnate number. This means that somewhere, approximately 10^10^115 metres away, there is an exact copy of our Universe. We can then lead this on to say that anything you can think of the Universe being like, will exist. Which means that there could be a universe where life took an extra 1000 years to develop, but apart from that is exactly the same, so if you could travel there, you would essentially have gone 1000 years into the past.

Of couse, finding out which universe you want to go to, and how to get there may be impossible, but nevertheless, the chances of such a scenario as described above being reality, are pretty high.

Level II

Level II multiverses arn't worth talking about much. Essentially, a level II multiverse scenario is if the Universe (There's only one main universe for this unlike Level I) has multiple 'buds' of smaller universes, formed from minature Big Bangs, leading off it via wormholes. If you found a way of traveling through wormholes you could go to them, but physicists expect that in bud universes, there is a good chance of universal constants being different. For example, gravity could not exist, or magnetism could be strong enough to tear us apart, so you wouldn't want to go to them.

Level III

Our current idea of what Level III multiverses are and how they form was first thought up by the American scientist Hugh Everett III, he invented the 'Many Worlds Interpretation' of quantum mechanics which essentialy states that whenever a decision is made, a two or more new realities form, each accomodating for each possible outcome. This would lead to an incredibly large number of parallel Universes, seeing as even the slightest movement of an electron could be considered a decision.

The famous 'Schrodinger's Cat Box' thought experiment captures the essence of a Level III multiverse rather well. Whilst the box is closed, only 1 reality exists, the moment the box is opened it splits into 2 realities - one in which the cat is dead, the other in which the cat is alive. Of course, this is very simplified but it does explain the basics.

Level IV

Level IV Universes are aslo not worth talking about seeing as they are the least likely. Essentially the theory behind it is, that each mathematical function has a Universe which was created by it. In a way, Level IV and Level II multiverses are similar seeing as universal constants would be different and probably kill you if you tried to go there.

And that's all I'll write for now, I'm sorry if it sounded like a science lesson, but I hope you enjoyed it.

i really enjoyed it ,it's good one
thanks

anvesh111 said:
because scientists confirmed that time travel is possible, but they are not getting the way ,how it can be done? that's the main problem.
Wikipedia's definition of time travel is this :

Time travel is the concept of moving between different points in time in a manner analogous to moving between different points in space, either sending objects (or in some cases just information) backwards in time to a moment before the present, or sending objects forward from the present to the future without the need to experience the intervening period (at least not at the normal rate).

Please elaborate on how such an impossible feat can be achieved. Is time travel actually confirmed as possible?

So wikipedia has an opinion? I do not find that compelling or convincing.

There is no compelling observational evidence of parallel universes. Until such evidence is produced, it is pure fantasy. Pardon my hard core skepticism.

Parrallel universes exist? No! I am of the opinion they've hit a wall, run out of ideas and this is the best they can come up with, and cos it sounds intricate, complex and unfathomable...then it must be right!...

We live in a physical universe, it is all explainable, its not complicated in the way a lot seem to imply and its all out ther for us to understand...why complicate soemthing so simply beautiful. Why don't they try and complete the knowledge we have on the one universe we do know exists before they start explaining the mechanics of something that doesn't exist...

Bodicea said:
Parrallel universes exist? No! I am of the opinion they've hit a wall, run out of ideas and this is the best they can come up with, and cos it sounds intricate, complex and unfathomable...then it must be right!...

We live in a physical universe, it is all explainable, its not complicated in the way a lot seem to imply and its all out ther for us to understand...why complicate soemthing so simply beautiful. Why don't they try and complete the knowledge we have on the one universe we do know exists before they start explaining the mechanics of something that doesn't exist...

let us wait for some more years till the scientists invent the way.

JerryClower said:
Wikipedia's definition of time travel is this :

Time travel is the concept of moving between different points in time in a manner analogous to moving between different points in space, either sending objects (or in some cases just information) backwards in time to a moment before the present, or sending objects forward from the present to the future without the need to experience the intervening period (at least not at the normal rate).

Please elaborate on ..

Signals separated by space-like intervals are those which travel at >c.Tachyons have been hypothesized, but never observed, with imaginary mass
E=imc^2/i*sqrt(1 -v^2/c^2 ) so the term in the sqrt is reversed.
With a minowski diagram, you can find that v>c in a frame is infnite in some other frame, it experiences no time between transition in space

vin, I presume you realize you have correctly described a photon traveling through minkowski space.

If the fundamental concepts are different in your "bud universe" theory, and there were wormholes to reach them, wouldn't that introduce catastrophic instabilities into our own universe? You can't have the laws of physics hold in one part then the laws of physics not hold in another part.

Also, the level 1 universe section you wrote seems to be off, since I don't believe you were clear enough in your explanation to not be ambiguous.

-- DoYouKnow

I might make a picture to explain Level 1 multiverses if you like. I thought my explanation was enough.

About Level IIs, the only reason constants might be different, is because they are supposedly formed by mini big bangs on the quantum scale where everything gets mixed up. Personally, I think Level IIs are silly. Level Is are more probable.

Chronos said:
So wikipedia has an opinion? I do not find that compelling or convincing.

Oh why ever not chronos... :biggrin:

S.Vasojevic said:

Exactly! We can't prove they are. We can't prove they aren't.
In one theory, we couldn't exist without them. In another, we can't exist if other universes do. Thus man is, once again, to smart and to stupid for his own good.

Chronos said:
There is no compelling observational evidence of parallel universes. Until such evidence is produced, it is pure fantasy. Pardon my hard core skepticism.

I realize that in terms of experiment, there is no evidence whatsoever for parallel universes. Just wondering though - aside from Occam's Razor, do you see any logical or circumstantial scientific evidence that would persuade you either way w/r to the multiverse hypothesis? Also, are there any differences between "parallel universe" theory and "multiverse" theory in their definition within the theoretical physics community?

Why should orthonormal rays in Hilbert space be called parallel universes rather than perpendicular universes. It seems bass ackword nomenclature. Am I misunderstanding something or simply identifying the visceral attraction that 'parallel universe' has over 'perpendicular universe'?

Last edited:

1. What is a parallel universe?

A parallel universe, also known as a parallel dimension or alternate reality, is a hypothetical version of our own universe that exists alongside ours. It is theorized that parallel universes have their own set of physical laws and can contain different versions of ourselves and the world we live in.

2. How do scientists study parallel universes?

Currently, there is no scientific evidence or technology that can directly study parallel universes. Scientists can only theorize about their existence and potential properties based on mathematical models and principles from quantum mechanics and cosmology. These theories are still highly debated and have not been proven.

3. Are there any signs of parallel universes?

There are some theories that suggest the existence of parallel universes, such as the multiverse theory and the many-worlds interpretation of quantum mechanics. However, these theories are still speculative and have not been proven. There is currently no concrete evidence or observable signs of parallel universes.

4. Could we ever travel to a parallel universe?

As of now, there is no known way to travel to a parallel universe. Theoretical physicists have proposed ideas such as wormholes and quantum tunneling as potential methods, but these are still purely hypothetical and would require advanced technology that is currently beyond our capabilities.

5. Can parallel universes explain the existence of aliens or supernatural beings?

Parallel universes are often used in science fiction and popular culture to explain the existence of extraterrestrial life or supernatural phenomena. However, there is no scientific evidence to support this idea. Parallel universes are still a theoretical concept and should not be used to explain unexplained phenomena without proper evidence or scientific research.