Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Does prophecy violate QM?

1. Mar 17, 2009 #1
    I've always wondered that when people claim to predict the future, don't they violate the laws of quantum mechanics? QM says that the state of a future system cannot be known (as it could be for classical physics), but can only be subject to the laws of probability.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 17, 2009 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re: Prophecy violate QM?

If you want my opinion, those people should be violating a lot more laws than they do anyway. Especially the kind that used "physical" arguments to support their gibberish ("your energy spectrum is distorted, but if you give me $ 300 I will resonate your eigenfrequency so that you may pass into a higher spacetime dimension" - *puke*).

4. Mar 17, 2009 #3

In reading your post, I noticed your Aura oscillating into the violet.

5. Mar 17, 2009 #4

Agreed! Did you know that Kevin Trudeau suggested in his book that cooking food at your house instead of going to a restaurant modifies its electrons? The scary thing is that people actually believe this stuff.

6. Mar 17, 2009 #5

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In a sense, what you are asking is if time travel [beyond the normal sense of time] is possible. The answer is that we don't know.

There was one recent effort to make what amounts to a time telephone to the future [or to the past, depending on which end we are talking about], by a physicist named Mallet. I believe the consensus is that his papers are in error.
    https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=42834

Last edited: Mar 17, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook