Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Does pure gold oxidize(I truly need a long-time proffesional chemist)!

1. May 11, 2005 #1
    Some say pure gold oxidizes,but it takes thousands of years and even billions of years to completely oxidize on normal/room temperature i natural envirornments.
    1.So,does pure gold in water(normal drinking and salt water) oxidize at least on molecular level i normal/room temperature?
    Because on every website I've been so far,there is no a clue that pure gold oxidizes on molecular level(one atom supposedly reacts with oxygen in a few seconds).
    2.And on which temperature pure gold oxidizes with oxygen,if pure gold doesn't oxidze on normal/room temperature?
    3.And does water(drinking and salt) react with pure gold on normal/room temperature in natural environments?
    4.Does sulphur react with water,myabe on molecular level?
  2. jcsd
  3. May 13, 2005 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What do you mean by "on molecular level"...?All chamical reactions take place at atomic/molecular level.

P.S.Gold in chemically inert at normal temp & pressure.Water,salted or not,does nothing to it.Royal water dissolves it though,giving auric chloride.
  4. May 13, 2005 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can find explicit answers to these question within a standard general chemistry text, browse through the chapter on "metals."
  5. May 14, 2005 #4
    gold can be dissolved by "aqua regia" (as alchemists used to call it), a solution of nitric and hydrochloric acid.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?