1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Does QFT cover theoretical particle physics?

1. Jun 24, 2011 #1
    There's a course at my institution called "Introduction to Nuclear and Particle Physics." I know it covers a lot of the experimental methods, but it also goes through theoretical topics like isospin/SU(2), quark model/SU(3), charm/beauty, etc., using the proper mathematical machinery (Lie algebras, representation theory). It goes through QED and QCD, but I'm sure not as in depth as a QFT course.

In my future graduate program, I intend to take a full QFT sequence, as well as specialized courses on strong and weak interactions, supersymmetry, string theory. Would these courses contain the theoretical topics from the intro to nuclear and particle physics class? I'd like to skip out on the experimental stuff if possible.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted