Does random exist?

vanesch
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Also, if everything is in gods book, and everything is completely deterministic for the lifespan of the system, won't all randomness in the system be simply a lack of information regarding the event?
Yes. That was my ultimate proof of the impossibility of establishing "true randomness" ever: although not falsifiable, the "gods book" theory is a possible ontology and is fundamentally deterministic (only, we cannot read it, but "maybe one day we will"). Given that there is always this possibility of such an ontology, and given that there is then nothing "truely random" in this case, it will be impossible ever to establish true randomness (as that would render gods book impossible, which is itself impossible).

Which renders the question moot.

Amen.

Borek
Mentor
The cow just popped out instantly.
As long as it doesn't appear for longer then about 10-54 sec that's OK. It is just a virtual cow.

vanesch
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
As long as it doesn't appear for longer then about 10-54 sec that's OK. It is just a virtual cow.
A question: does a virtual cow fart too ? And does this contribute to global warming ? :rofl:

A question: does a virtual cow fart too ? And does this contribute to global warming ? :rofl:
It certainly contributes to virtual local warming :tongue2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waO8KKtVgaQ

i remember a randomness existence thread somewhere in the archives..

anyway. True randomness is in the eye of the beholder.. I personally don't believe in randomness. Chaos isn't even randomness, just disorganization.