Does Religon Show Weakness in Society

• Thread starter Tom McCurdy
  • Start date
In summary, this poll is mainly for athiests, although I am sure I will get a bunch of theist responses. This is another way of asking do you believe humans will evolve beyond religon. I voted yes. And yes, already today, a lot of civilized individuals have no need for the mental crutch of religion in their lives. Love&peace, olde drunk.

Does Religon Show Weakness in Society

• Yes

Votes: 29 59.2%
  • No (atheist)

Votes: 8 16.3%
  • No (theist)

Votes: 12 24.5%

• Total voters
Tom McCurdy said:
I value my collection of quarks-- I don't know why I am here, but I enjoy being here ...

Religion is often created to account for the unexplained-- we explain the unexplained there is no need for religion.

You guys are proving my point. Your value is entirely subjective. You say you "value" you're quarks, leptons, and messenger particles? That has absolutely no binding on anyone but yourself. Why should I value what you value? Are you saying that everyone should see this same value as you. I'm glad you found meaning in a life that is devoid of one. But don't expect me to believe in some value just because some amalgamation of fundamental particles in the form of an evolved subhuman's determined psychology and body chemicals told him to tell me that.

So in the same vein, the same way you find value in some way, people find value through religion. I think you would be as hard pressed to defend this value, as the person on here that believes in the progress of humanity, as the person who believes in God when I as the simple question, "Why should I believe in this value of yours?"

Physics news on Phys.org
Your argument could be used against you in the same way... why should people believe what your beliefs are... we are both trying to state our cases... what we believe in and why we believe it.

It is hard to convince someone who is religous that what they are doing is a sign of weakness in society... if they thought this then they would not be participating in religon. However it seems clear to me that religon is a tool wielded by society throughout history to conrol people. To make them behave, and to motivate them to do things they otherwise wouldn't such as die in a war that was for personal greed rather than anything else. Religon is also just a way of trying to come up with excuses of stuff that has not yet been explained by science.

tiger_striped_cat said:
You guys are proving my point. Your value is entirely subjective. You say you "value" you're quarks, leptons, and messenger particles? That has absolutely no binding on anyone but yourself. Why should I value what you value? Are you saying that everyone should see this same value as you. I'm glad you found meaning in a life that is devoid of one. But don't expect me to believe in some value just because some amalgamation of fundamental particles in the form of an evolved subhuman's determined psychology and body chemicals told him to tell me that.

So in the same vein, the same way you find value in some way, people find value through religion. I think you would be as hard pressed to defend this value, as the person on here that believes in the progress of humanity, as the person who believes in God when I as the simple question, "Why should I believe in this value of yours?"

Let us go with striped tiger cat, are these particles and energy emissions a direct witnessing? No it is a machine which works with a machine which works with parts which works with formulas which works with parts which works with formulas. Any and all of this process although repetative was not designed by you and there for one uses them with FAITH. lol lol lol lol

Science is as bad as relgion because all scientist have faith. That faith is in others who created processes came up with ideas and measurements which may or may not be accurate but are accepted as so. Lol lol lol lol

If a scientist, religious or both are to transcend belief transcend faith they must indeed desire to understand. That understanding cannot be found in a book or in the words of another. The understanding will be an experience and the experiencer will know the difference. Will you? This experience is that which moves creation itself. Until then you really know NOTHING.

TENYEARS said:
Let us go with striped tiger cat, are these particles and energy emissions a direct witnessing? No it is a machine which works with a machine which works with parts which works with formulas which works with parts which works with formulas. Any and all of this process although repetative was not designed by you and there for one uses them with FAITH. lol lol lol lol

Science is as bad as relgion because all scientist have faith. That faith is in others who created processes came up with ideas and measurements which may or may not be accurate but are accepted as so. Lol lol lol lol

If a scientist, religious or both are to transcend belief transcend faith they must indeed desire to understand. That understanding cannot be found in a book or in the words of another. The understanding will be an experience and the experiencer will know the difference. Will you? This experience is that which moves creation itself. Until then you really know NOTHING.

You can't compare the faith in religon with the faith in scientests... for one thing people don't just trust scientests. Discoveries are generally slow to be accepted until repeatly proved... Unlike going on some word of someone who has said they have talked to god. MANY people all over the world currently claim to have a connection with God, many people believe they are God or Jesus, however our society pays no attention to them. To me its just as likely one of them is correct as it was 2000 years ago. People just didn't have the background back then to sucessfully question what was told to them.

Tom, you are obviously not only just a kid but one that wants to hear himself speak. This will be my last post on this foolish conversation. LoL

Did you make the instrument? Did you create the formulas that make it work? All of them? To you know their degree of error? Do you know exactlly the materials they are made of? Their composition exactally. Thier composition with realtion to their exact physical area of use and the surrounding area and it's complete composition? No.. That is faith. You have faith that the instruments of science and technology will provide you truth and what it really provides is an approximation of an approximation of a reflected or non observalbe reality which is based on the approximation of an after affect. All based on faith of all the makers. A thousand times LoL.

This thread has now been completed. Truth is not faith, it is completeness beyond what you presently understand. Stop now. Kind of reminds me of Zantras old line from the comerical "Hit it with a hammer." Lol

TENYEARS.
First: Simply, you are not the one who decide if the thread is finished or no. If the mentor find it unapporaite to continue, he will lock it, do not worry and chill out. lol

Second: That what you are talking about is called: Trust, you trust who made the instruemnt that bla bla bla about the instrument he claimed otbe it is true. Your 'faith' in that guy/girl who created taht instrument depends on many factors -which it is not our topic here-.

Yeah, for me, the religion that i believe that it is from God has been reached to me through a person. I DID accept that relgion after i checked that person credibility, and concluded that "That person cannot be a lier against God". Further, he has been supported by "God signatures" aka miracles to support his claim that the Universe Lord sent him to humans.

Simply, on this i build my "Faith". I do not care if it is scientific way or no, but it is logical. The proper faith is strong, as well as any correct answer as stong by its correct method :biggrin: