Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Does snow exist?

1. Feb 6, 2010 #1
    I suppose this will get moved to the philosophy forum. Here is the local forecast:

TODAY
    Periods of heavy snow this morning, followed by periods of heavy snow in the afternoon, then periods of heavy snow this evening, intermingled with periods of even heavier snow. Blowing snow. Drifting snow. Snow may be heavy at times this morning and the foreseeable future. Visibility poor or worse at times due to snow. Total snow accumulation of 18 to 24 inches on top of other snow, with yet more snow on top of that. Chance of snow near 100 percent. Chance of no snow 0%. Even the Eskimos don't have a word for this. Think blizzard plus flurries. And we don't get mentioned in the news stories because it's even worse at the White House.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 6, 2010 #2

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Maybe this should be moved to the Philosophy forum.

4. Feb 6, 2010 #3

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

PF Philosophy puts the "no" in "snow"

5. Feb 6, 2010 #4
    No snow wons on

6. Feb 6, 2010 #5
    Sounds like a fun forecast.

When that storm passed us in Utah we got maybe 10 minutes of snow. Such a tease. It's all gone now and rained a bit this morning. :(

7. Feb 6, 2010 #6

DaveC426913

Gold Member

You have no idea how much pleasure it gives us up here that you guys are getting walloped and it is completely missing us.

8. Feb 6, 2010 #7

turbo

Gold Member

Same here! Maine has been in the bullseye too many times this year, and finally a nice cold high-pressure zone has settled over us, forcing storms to take a more southerly track.

9. Feb 6, 2010 #8
    You know how many things I would kill to get 30 inches of pow in northern Minnesota? Heck I want to go to sierra at tahoe just to get some (last dumping was 5 feet!)

10. Feb 6, 2010 #9
    hmmm...

how many snowflakes fall in a year? and can someone guarantee they are all different?

11. Feb 6, 2010 #10
    exp (too many! + 1)!
    and that's not counting the shovels-full that I have displaced relative to the distant stars.

I can guarantee you that they are all exactly alike, or they will be in the spring.

12. Feb 6, 2010 #11

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

So far the storm that swept through the Virginias, Maryland, SE PA, southern NJ and Delaware has missed us. It's seems to be moving along the coast just south of Long Island and headed for Cape Cod.

13. Feb 6, 2010 #12

turbo

Gold Member

I counted all the snowflakes on my front lawn two years ago. I forget the exact number, but it was a LOT.
    marchhouse.jpg

14. Feb 6, 2010 #13
    I thought there was a repeating pattern of 1 million snow flakes or something of the sort.

15. Feb 6, 2010 #14

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

I think down here we actually got about the same amount of water but it was all in the form of rain yesterday, enough to put a lot of standing water on roads and on saturated lawns.

16. Feb 6, 2010 #15

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You need to post a current picture. The older picture looks like my front yard back around 1993, when we have 24 inches on top of 18+ inches in a two week period. I think there was another ~6-10 inches a week later.

17. Feb 6, 2010 #16

turbo

Gold Member

Currently, the depth is not bad at all. We had quite a bit of snow earlier in the season, then a couple of weeks back, we got about 3" of rain in one day, and it really knocked the snow down. The snowmobile trail is unusable with lots of exposed rocks and bare spots.

18. Feb 6, 2010 #17
    I was sort of sad that we missed the big snow here. We haven't had one this year.

19. Feb 6, 2010 #18
    It has been foreseen. The end of the world draws near :P

20. Feb 6, 2010 #19

diazona

Homework Helper

Here in central PA we got about 10 inches last night, which I was quite happy about - last time we got hit with one of these "blizzards" there were barely 2 inches on the ground. I like my snowy winters :wink:

21. Feb 9, 2010 #20
    At 4:00 pm Accuweather was predicting 100% chance of snow at 10:00 pm. At 6:30 they were predicting 85% chance of snow at 10:00 pm. Apparently he does play dice after all, and he cheats.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook