Snow Forecast: Periods of Heavy Snow Today, Blowing Snow & Drifting Snow

• Thread starter Jimmy Snyder
  • Start date
In summary: I woke up to another foot of snow this morning. In summary, the forecast is for heavy snow all day long.
We got a healthy 8 inches of snow over night. Its very pretty.

Physics news on Phys.org
This sucks.

Why are we here in Utah getting rain (!) and you guys are getting all of this snow.

erok81 said:
This sucks.

Why are we here in Utah getting rain (!) and you guys are getting all of this snow.
We should donate all our snowy weather to Calgary!

Disney on Ice was canceled due to icy conditions. And the global warming conference was postponed. The forecast is for steadily falling snow until 2 o'clock in the morning, followed by sunny skies, so I expect it will all be melted away before I wake up.

jimmysnyder said:
Disney on Ice was canceled due to icy conditions. And the global warming conference was postponed. The forecast is for steadily falling snow until 2 o'clock in the morning, followed by sunny skies, so I expect it will all be melted away before I wake up.

I lol'd

For all you that wish you had snow right now, give me your address, I'll gladly FEDEX you a box of this crap. Take all you want. 12" snow + 2" of wet snow/ice = worst shoveling job I've ever had to do. The snow constantly sticks to you shovel making it take twice the effort to shovel away what you just picked up. It wouldn't be so bad if were the nice light, fluffy, powdery stuff that is easy to deal with.There may also be another snow storm next week too!

Dallas is getting hammered with snow. They're predicting 8" accumulation in some areas. This is the most snow I've seen in my lifetime.

gravenewworld said:
For all you that wish you had snow right now, give me your address, I'll gladly FEDEX you a box of this crap. Take all you want.

Can you deliver ?
http://www.nbcolympics.com/mm/photo/sports/general/40/57/10/405710_m03.jpg

Disney on Ice was canceled due to icy conditions
That's a shame - I hear Florida was bidding for the next winter olympics

mgb_phys said:
Can you deliver ?
http://www.nbcolympics.com/mm/photo/sports/general/40/57/10/405710_m03.jpg

That's a shame - I hear Florida was bidding for the next winter olympics
Good luck with the downhill events. They'd probably have to be moved to Mount Sunflower, KS.

http://www.talkingproud.us/ImagesPhotoGallery/Whackey/Sandboarding.jpg

http://lilomag.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/cornering_1447137i.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
turbo-1 said:
I counted all the snowflakes on my front lawn two years ago. I forget the exact number, but it was a LOT.
marchhouse.jpg

I kept thinking of that picture when I was shoveling snow for the 4th or 5th time this week. The piles of snow next to my driveway are now nearly as tall as I am, and that's after about a half day of rain on Tuesday to melt things down a bit after Friday and Saturday's storms before the snow started up again yesterday. And I still haven't shoveled today's snow yet. It isn't going anywhere, so I can do it tomorrow morning; if it does decide to go somewhere in the meantime, even better. I looked at the road in front of my house this morning, it looked coated in ice still since yesterday, and decided it was another good day to work from home.

Tomorrow I'm going to head to work even if I have to hitch up Ember to a sled to get there. I'm going stir crazy being stuck home so long!

Moonbear said:
I kept thinking of that picture when I was shoveling snow for the 4th or 5th time this week. The piles of snow next to my driveway are now nearly as tall as I am, and that's after about a half day of rain on Tuesday to melt things down a bit after Friday and Saturday's storms before the snow started up again yesterday. And I still haven't shoveled today's snow yet. It isn't going anywhere, so I can do it tomorrow morning; if it does decide to go somewhere in the meantime, even better. I looked at the road in front of my house this morning, it looked coated in ice still since yesterday, and decided it was another good day to work from home.

Tomorrow I'm going to head to work even if I have to hitch up Ember to a sled to get there. I'm going stir crazy being stuck home so long!
Ack! I hope mother nature lends you a hand.