Exploring the Concept of Space-Time Flow: A Scientific Inquiry

In summary, it is questioned whether the empty space between molecules, atoms, and particles in a cup of pure water is similar to the vacuum between the sun and Earth. It is also questioned whether this "aether" would move when the water is poured into another cup. However, it is concluded that there is no ether with the described properties.
Ian
I had this thought today;
If I have a cup of pure water I know that it is composed of hydrogen and oxygen atoms. But there is also the empty space between the individual molecules and between the individual atoms and between the atomic particles. This empty space must be no different to the vacuum between the sun and Earth in its basic composition and behaviour (if it can be said to possesses properties at all), although the 'state' of the vacuum may well be different at the different scales.

If I now pour the water into another cup, will I also pour the vacuum between the molecules, atoms, particles etc., or will it stay behind in the empty cup?

Will the 'aether' drift?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
There is no ether with properties you describe.

1. Does space-time actually flow?

This is a complex question that does not have a simple yes or no answer. According to the theory of relativity, space-time is a four-dimensional fabric that is curved by the presence of mass and energy. This curvature is what we experience as gravity, and it affects the motion of objects through space-time. While space-time does not flow in the traditional sense, it is constantly changing and being affected by the objects within it.

2. How does space-time affect the passage of time?

The concept of time is intertwined with space in the theory of relativity. The closer an object is to a source of gravity, the slower time moves for that object. This means that time passes at different rates for objects in different gravitational fields. This phenomenon, known as time dilation, has been confirmed through experiments with atomic clocks on Earth and in space.

3. Can space-time be influenced or manipulated?

In theory, yes. The curvature of space-time is affected by the presence of mass and energy. This means that massive objects, such as planets and stars, can bend and warp space-time. Additionally, the theory of relativity also allows for the possibility of wormholes and time travel, which would involve manipulating space-time in some way.

4. Is space-time infinite or does it have an end?

This is a question that scientists are still exploring and do not have a definitive answer for. The theory of relativity suggests that space-time is curved and has no end, but it may be possible that the universe has a finite size. However, the possibility of multiple universes and the concept of a multiverse also complicate the idea of a definitive end to space-time.

5. How does the concept of space-time impact our understanding of the universe?

The concept of space-time is crucial to our understanding of the universe and how it operates. Without it, we would not have a way to explain the effects of gravity on objects and the passage of time. Additionally, the theory of relativity has led to advancements in technologies such as GPS, which rely on precise calculations of time and space to function accurately.