Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Does String Field Theory have the potential to outshine the regular string theories?

1. Feb 2, 2009 #1
    Sifting through ArXiv and other sources, I've found many documents on the topic of String Field Theory, perhaps the most extensive being by Thorn, 1989*.
    This brings up the question: Will String Field Theory evolve in popularity and perhaps outshine the more traditional String Theories? With all the popularity of field theories these days, I'd expect that it has such potential, but I don't really know.

*If you wish to read his 170 page introduction to SFT, go to Google Scholar and type in "String Field Theory Thorn" and find the PostScript document by Thorn.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 3, 2009 #2
    Re: Does String Field Theory have the potential to outshine the regular string theori

My impression is that string field theory is being used less and less as time passes, rather than more.

When I look around for work using string field theory I seem to find it mostly comes from the 80s and 90s.

I don't know nearly enough about the subject to know why this is or whether it's deserved.

4. Feb 5, 2009 #3
    Re: Does String Field Theory have the potential to outshine the regular string theori

To correct my own post:

See this post at Not Even Wrong, partially about a talk by Polchinski wherein he predicted string field theory to be one of the three big growth areas in string theory. I asked if people thought string field theory was still going strong as a research program and got a response from "somebody":

I.E., studies of tachyon condensation within string theory are part of the subject of string field theory. Tachyon condensation is as far as I know a big deal in string theory lately. So it looks like my post before was incorrect.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?