1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Studying Does studying engineering at a 2 yr college take longer to transfer than other majors

1. Nov 8, 2009 #1
    Does it take longer to be able to transfer from a 2 year college to a 4 year one if you have an engineering major
    It seems that engineering majors require more time at 2 year colleges than other majors do , is this true or not ?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 8, 2009 #2
    Re: Does studying engineering at a 2 yr college take longer to transfer than other ma

My two year school requires around 73 hours to get the transfer degree. According the recommened schedule it's about 17-18 hours a semester for four semesters.

I can't comment on it taking longer, however I don't see how it would...unless you take classes you don't need. I'm not really sure it could take longer since you should only be completing required classes at the two year that are also needed at the 4 year.

In my case I won't be getting an actual transfer degree from my two year school as there are three classes the school I am transfering to aren't needed. If I took those extra two classes I guess it would take longer since I'd have to add another semester to finish those two classes.

4. Nov 12, 2009 #3
    Re: Does studying engineering at a 2 yr college take longer to transfer than other ma

In general, I'd say engineering majors do take longer as there are more prereqs needed before you can take the needed courses for transfer in your intended major. This can probably be said of most science related majors though. I think the only big prereqs for humanities are for English if one can't start out at the college level. Depending on the school that you are transferring to though, you may or may not need to take a lot of the courses at the community college level. Most people tend to take them at community colleges though as it tends to be cheaper.

5. Nov 12, 2009 #4

I agree, the main factors that can determine how long it would take you to transfer are:

1. Pre-reqs - Some students may need to take more supplemental classes than others.
    2. Cost - The idea that some students follow in my school is if they can take the class at the CC, then take it; it'll save them money.

Obviously, time can be another factor if you work full time.

6. Nov 12, 2009 #5

it comepletely depends on the school. Some schools might not be willing to accept some of your transfer credits while others will. Obviously if one school won't accept all of your transfer credit then you will have to stay longer to make up these classes. I would try to find a school that you know is going to accept all of your credits.

7. Nov 12, 2009 #6

I agree with what is being said here. If the student isn't 'ready' to take only the engineering related classes, then it will take longer since they need to start with the supplementary stuff. However, if the student is ready to dive right in, then it should not take 'much' longer than if you just started out at the 4 year school so long as they accept all of the credits.

I say 'much' longer because usually the 4 year school has 1 or 2 classes that you have to take there. For example, my community college offered 'Intro to Engineering' but even if I had taken it at the CC (which I did not) I would have had to take it at my 4 year University because they area little 'snobby' about some things like that.

But I can't complain since they took all 2 years of my general ed requirements/engineering transfer credits.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook