1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Does the acceleration due to gravity ever change?

1. Sep 28, 2005 #1
    hello,
    If a person is falling through the air will his/her acceleration
    increase, decrease or will remain the same.

I think since the person is falling through the air with a negative velocity and his/her acceleration due to gravity is also negative, therefore his/her acceleration will increase. Please correct me if am wrong, thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2005 #2
    I think since the person is falling through the air with a negative velocity and his/her acceleration due to gravity is also negative

you answered your own question, does the acceleration due to gravity ever change? Nope. Does any other force act to accelerate this person?(remember, to accelerate, you need a force!)well, in a vaccuum, no, you accelerate at the same rate foorrrrrever

but in real life(well, on our planet) you deal with wind resistance and drag and all that, which DOES exert a force that opposes the gravitational force, AND since the wind resistance force depends on your velocity, eventually you'll go fast enough that it's exerting a force just as strong as the gravitational force and you stop accelerating completely(for a normal full-sized human, about 120mph, belly-down)that's called terminal velocity

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?