Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Does the bar symbol go over the functions or over the indices? (tensors)

1. Jul 13, 2018 at 4:07 PM #1
    When dealing with any tensor quantity, when making a coordinate transformation, we should put a bar (or whatever symbol) over the functions or over the indices? For exemple, should the metric coefficients ##g_{\mu \nu}## be written in another coord sys as ##\bar g_{\mu \nu}## or as ##g_{\bar \mu \bar \nu}##?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 13, 2018 at 4:59 PM #2
    I think this is more of a notational preference. There might be a clearer choice depending on the type of problem you’re working, though. Personally, if I’m referring to the same tensor field simply in different coordinates, it usually makes more sense to me to put the bars over the indices.

4. Jul 14, 2018 at 5:44 AM #3

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

I fully agree. The symbol itself is the field that does not care about coordinates and what actually is basis dependent are the components. Unfortunately, many people dont agree ...

5. Jul 14, 2018 at 5:52 AM #4
    Thank you. For this to be valid, we should consider the same region of the manifold before and after the parametrization, correct? Because otherwise the domain of the functions would be different, what in turn makes the functions different.

6. Jul 14, 2018 at 8:43 AM #5
    It sounds like you’re thinking about overlapping charts on a manifold, in which case, yes, you should be looking at where the domains of the coordinate functions overlap. However, for many problems, the issue is not getting from one patch of spacetime to another, it’s what happens simply when we transform the coordinates we’re using (think of almost all problems in SR, where most reasonable choices of coordinates for inertial observers cover the entire manifold).

7. Jul 15, 2018 at 4:09 PM #6
    Thanks!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted