Does the demand on no mathematical contradiction fix our world?

In summary, the conversation discusses the necessary conditions for intelligent life and whether it is possible to create a universe based on mathematical logic alone. The idea of contradiction is also brought up, with one participant arguing that it is a higher form of reasoning while the other sees it as a potential hindrance. The conversation also briefly touches on the philosophical differences between Hegel and Aristotle's views on logic.
naunzer
Consider the following:
Postulate as FEW as possible things that seem to be necessary to make (intelligent) life possible, e.g. causality (one should be able to kill one's dad) at least at "large" scales,...?...
Let there be mathematical logic and demand that all laws of nature can be written in a mathematical language and further demand that no mathematical contradictions MUST arise in these laws.

Do you think that it is possible to get a universe as ours just out of this?

That means e.g., it turns out that one has to have just one time dimension
and let's say exactly 3 space dimensions (maybe this could have something to do with quaternions, for example; I don't claim that!)
or
that there have to be exactly 3 lepton generations as we currently observe
or ...

If you think it is a possible way, where would then God be?

Physics news on Phys.org
Non contradiction is an aesthetical choice. There is really nothing deep or fundamental about non-contradicton! I actually think we should embrace contradiction to further improve our research. CONTRADICTION IS A HIGHER FORM OF REASONING.

the ape

eighth man said:
CONTRADICTION IS A HIGHER FORM OF REASONING.

I'm afraid you'll have to elaborate on that. It is my understanding that if you deny the excluded middle, then it is possible to prove anything. This would include proving both a statement and its negative. This would render the system completely useless, and you'd be hard pressed to convince anyone that this is a higher form of reasoning.

eighth man is possibly a Hegelian..

I don't see that as a problem. As I understand it, those who use dialectical logic would deny that logical variables are static (that is, they say that "A=A" is just an empty tautology, with no application to the real world). But I don't see a conflict with Hegel's logic and Aristotle's, if we recognize that logical variables are in general time dependent. That is, if we let A=A(t), then we can hold to both Hegel and Aristotle if we recognize that A(t1)=A(t1) always, while it is not true in general that A(t1)=A(t2).

There must be contradiction somewhere in the universe at least in one point or time because contradicton generates every conceivable universe both in extent and conceptually. That is before the big bang there must have been a moment of "logical contradiction" where every conceivable thing is created.

From an artistic and metaphysical point of view, contradiction is useful in creating anything you want. You obviously won't use it for engineering (but if you are an extremist, you could use it there to, but I dont' suggest).

THE APE MEN

Tom Mattson said:
I don't see that as a problem. As I understand it, those who use dialectical logic would deny that logical variables are static (that is, they say that "A=A" is just an empty tautology, with no application to the real world). But I don't see a conflict with Hegel's logic and Aristotle's, if we recognize that logical variables are in general time dependent. That is, if we let A=A(t), then we can hold to both Hegel and Aristotle if we recognize that A(t1)=A(t1) always, while it is not true in general that A(t1)=A(t2).
An excellent interpretation!
Occasionally, Hegel managed to retain that notion (in particular in the "Phanomenologie des Geistes"), but in his later works (particularly, "Die Wissenschaft der Logik") is rather muddled on these issues.

1. What is the concept of "no mathematical contradiction" and how does it relate to our world?

The concept of "no mathematical contradiction" refers to the idea that a mathematical statement or equation is logically consistent and free of any internal contradictions. This means that there are no conflicting or contradictory elements within the statement or equation. In relation to our world, it suggests that the laws and principles of mathematics are universal and can be applied consistently across all aspects of our world.

2. How does the demand for no mathematical contradiction impact scientific research and discoveries?

The demand for no mathematical contradiction plays a crucial role in scientific research and discoveries. In order for a scientific theory or hypothesis to be considered valid, it must be supported by evidence and must also align with the principles of mathematics. This ensures that the findings and conclusions are logically sound and can be replicated by other researchers.

3. Can the demand for no mathematical contradiction be applied to all areas of science?

Yes, the demand for no mathematical contradiction is applicable to all areas of science. Mathematics is considered the foundation of all natural sciences and is used to describe and explain various phenomena in the physical world. Therefore, it is essential for scientific theories and models to be consistent with the principles of mathematics.

4. Are there any limitations to the concept of no mathematical contradiction?

While the concept of no mathematical contradiction is a fundamental principle in science, there are some limitations to its application. Some complex systems or phenomena may not be fully explainable or predictable through mathematical equations, and may require other methods of analysis. Additionally, the use of approximations and simplifications in mathematical models may lead to some discrepancies in real-world observations.

5. How does the demand for no mathematical contradiction contribute to the advancement of our understanding of the world?

The demand for no mathematical contradiction encourages scientists to constantly seek logical and consistent explanations for natural phenomena. This drives the advancement of theories and models, leading to a deeper understanding of the world around us. It also allows for the integration of different scientific disciplines, as mathematics provides a common language for communication and analysis.