Does the fabric of space itself cause friction?

In summary: If it has no mechanical effect, then the mechanism of the probe will not detect it, will it?No, it is detectable by the probe.
whydoyouwanttoknow
I remember reading a while ago that the fabric of space has a texture and thus would cause friction. Even in a perfect vacuum a spacecraft would slow down over time due to this.

Is this an accepted theory?

Physics news on Phys.org
No; I am sure its not an accepted theory because it would violate the basic principles behind relativity(no preferred inertial frame of reference). I've never heard of that theory either.

I think that is one explanation put forth for the acceleration of Pioneer ten. No definitive answer was ever determined, AFAIK.

well, there is Gravity probe B that is out there testing for frame dragging. This is kind of like friction, since the rotation of a body in space time causes the space time to drag with the body. This is like a mass - space time friction but I am not sure if it has any effects on mechanical friction.

Nenad said:
well, there is Gravity probe B that is out there testing for frame dragging. This is kind of like friction, since the rotation of a body in space time causes the space time to drag with the body. This is like a mass - space time friction but I am not sure if it has any effects on mechanical friction.

Yes, this is like friction, but only to spacetime. But it has no effect on mechanics, except for how the spacetime is twisted therefore causing changes in how, for example a body is sucked into a black hole... it gets sucked in with a slight curve

Mk said:
for example a body is sucked into a black hole... it gets sucked in with a slight curve

No actually it doesnt. We cannot see or sense this curve in space time which creates gravity. The object would not be sucked in with a curve.

Mk said:
Yes, this is like friction, but only to spacetime. But it has no effect on mechanics, except for how the spacetime is twisted therefore causing changes in how, for example a body is sucked into a black hole... it gets sucked in with a slight curve

If it has no mechanical effect, then the mechanism of the probe will not detect it, will it?

Exackly, there we go. It does have mechanical effect.

1. What is the fabric of space?

The fabric of space refers to the concept of space-time, which is a mathematical model that combines the three dimensions of space with the dimension of time. It is theorized that all of space and time are interconnected and can be affected by mass and energy.

2. How does the fabric of space cause friction?

The fabric of space does not directly cause friction. However, objects with mass can create a curvature in space-time, which can affect the motion of other objects. This curvature can create the illusion of friction between objects.

3. Can friction be explained by the fabric of space?

While the fabric of space can play a role in the perception of friction, there are other factors at play such as the surface roughness and molecular interactions between objects. The fabric of space itself does not fully explain the concept of friction.

4. Is the concept of the fabric of space accepted by all scientists?

The concept of the fabric of space is a widely accepted theory in the field of physics. However, there are ongoing debates and research about the details and implications of this theory.

5. How does the fabric of space affect the motion of objects?

The fabric of space can affect the motion of objects through the curvature it creates. This curvature can cause objects to follow a curved path or orbit around a massive object, such as a planet or star. It also plays a role in the effects of gravity and the expansion of the universe.