Does the fabric of space itself cause friction?

1. I remember reading a while ago that the fabric of space has a texture and thus would cause friction. Even in a perfect vacum a spacecraft would slow down over time due to this.

Is this an accepted theory?

2. jcsd
  3. Chegg
    No; im sure its not an accepted theory because it would violate the basic principles behind relativity(no prefered inertial frame of reference). I've never heard of that theory either.

4. LURCH

LURCH 2,514
    Science Advisor

I think that is one explanation put forth for the acceleration of Pioneer ten. No definitive answer was ever determined, AFAIK.

5. well, there is Gravity probe B that is out there testing for frame dragging. This is kind of like friction, since the rotation of a body in space time causes the space time to drag with the body. This is like a mass - space time friction but Im not sure if it has any effects on mechanical friction.

6. Yes, this is like friction, but only to spacetime. But it has no effect on mechanics, except for how the spacetime is twisted therefore causing changes in how, for example a body is sucked into a black hole... it gets sucked in with a slight curve

7. No actually it doesnt. We cannot see or sence this curve in space time which creates gravity. The object would not be sucked in with a curve.

8. LURCH

LURCH 2,514
    Science Advisor

If it has no mechanical effect, then the mechanism of the probe will not detect it, will it?

9. Exackly, there we go. It does have mechanical effect.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?