Uncovering the Truth: The Search for the Higgs Boson Particle

In summary: Glad to know there is a more recent article that looks more accurate.In summary, the Higgs Boson particle was recently discovered by scientists at the LHC, and it behaves exactly like the Standard Model Higgs.
nst.john
I heard from a few sources that the Higgs Boson particle probably doesn't exist, is this true?

If so, what does this mean for the Big Bang theory? And how did it start the Big Bang theoretically anyway?

If not, what have the scientists at the LHC found? Is it the standard model Higgs, or a new type of Higgs?

Physics news on Phys.org
nst.john said:
I heard from a few sources that the Higgs Boson particle probably doesn't exist,

What sources? It's very hard to respond to "I heard somewhere..."

nst.john said:
is this true?

No.

nst.john said:
If so, what does this mean for the Big Bang theory?

The Higgs boson is probably unconnected to the Big Bang.

nst.john said:
And how did it start the Big Bang theoretically anyway?

It didn't, as far as we know. It sounds like you have seen some reference to inflation, which is probably unconnected to the Higgs boson.

nst.john said:
If not, what have the scientists at the LHC found? Is it the standard model Higgs, or a new type of Higgs?

As far as we can tell, the particle found at the LHC behaves exactly like the Standard Model Higgs.

Sorry for the terse responses; maybe if you can point to whatever motivated these questions someone can give more helpful answers.

Links, please.

nst.john said:
I heard from a few sources that the Higgs Boson particle probably doesn't exist

I'm sure your friend is much smarter than all those scientists at CERN who think they found it.

Look at the date on that article. (Which isn't very good)

Now look at the date of the discovery.

That article is just completely wrong. Its author misinterpreted some announced results. The results ruled out a Higgs boson in a certain range of masses. Other masses were still allowed, and indeed the particle was later found with a mass in this allowed range. The article is also wrong when it suggests that the Higgs boson is thought to be responsible for the Big Bang.

The BBC article linked within looks much better.

Last edited:
I'll look into that last part thanks!

It does exist, the LHC discovered it very recently.

This thread was done more than a year ago.

1. What is the Higgs Boson?

The Higgs Boson is a subatomic particle that is believed to give other particles their mass. It is a crucial piece of the Standard Model of particle physics.

2. Why is the Higgs Boson important?

The Higgs Boson helps explain why some particles have mass while others do not. It also provides evidence for the existence of the Higgs Field, which is thought to be responsible for giving particles their mass.

3. How was the Higgs Boson discovered?

The Higgs Boson was discovered in 2012 at the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) in Switzerland. Scientists used the LHC to collide protons at incredibly high speeds, which allowed them to observe the Higgs Boson and confirm its existence.

4. What is the significance of the discovery of the Higgs Boson?

The discovery of the Higgs Boson is significant because it confirms the existence of the Higgs Field and provides evidence for the Standard Model of particle physics. It also opens up new possibilities for further research and understanding of the fundamental building blocks of the universe.

5. How does the existence of the Higgs Boson impact our understanding of the universe?

The existence of the Higgs Boson helps explain how particles gain mass and provides insight into the structure and behavior of the universe at a fundamental level. It also supports the idea that there is a unified theory that can explain all of the fundamental forces of nature.