1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Does the integral symbol have a name?

1. Mar 4, 2004 #1
    I find myself continually referring to this:

[tex]\int[/tex]

as the 'integral-symbol-thingy'. Does it have a name? I asked my math teacher; he said it has a name but he couldn't remember it.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 4, 2004 #2
    Just drop the "thingy" part. The integral sign is an elongated "S" denoting a sum(from the latin summa). It was first introduced by Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz(1646-1716). The integral sign that you have shown in your post is an indefinite integral. I hope this helps. -Mike

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2004
  4. Mar 4, 2004 #3

NateTG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's sometimes called a lazy s. Typically you can say 'integral from a to b of' or 'indefinite integral of' so there's usually no real reason to specify 'integral symbol'.

5. Mar 5, 2004 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

My father always called it a "seahorse", but I'm not certain that is standard terminology!

(Yes, "integral symbol" or "integral sign" without the "thingy" is fine.)

6. Mar 6, 2004 #5
    Think of it like "plus sign" or "minus sign" -- these are commonly referenced symbols for common operations.

7. Mar 7, 2004 #6

Janitor

Science Advisor

Yikes!

My first day of posting at this Forum, and I've already had a post deleted. :wink:

I belong to another Forum website that uses software similar to this one's, and the celebrity who runs it has deleted maybe two of my 1,400+ posts there. I am getting off on the wrong foot here, it seems.

8. Mar 7, 2004 #7

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

*shrug* I didn't think this thread was the right place to try and stir up contraversial politics. We have a politics forum for that, and Zero loves that sort of stuff.

9. Mar 7, 2004 #8

Janitor

Science Advisor

I'll try to remember that.

:smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook