Does The LCDM Model need reworking?

In summary, the experts discuss whether or not the homogeneity assumption in the current models of the universe is necessary and if so, what could happen if it is removed. They believe that if the assumption is removed, then inconsistencies with large-scale structure (such as the Great Cold Spot) may be explained. However, they also believe that the model needs to be tested before any concrete conclusions can be drawn.
Berenices
Greetings,
I am slightly curious as to whether the LCDM model may require a slight tweaking. The reason I am curious is because I recall reading a while back that removing the homogeneity assumption from our current models could assist in accounting for some of the large-scale structures, and voids that we see in the universe. Have any of you ever discussed these speculations before?

The age of the universe is calculated by extrapolating the current rate of expansion backwards, and if the homogeneity assumption fails on some scales, would this mean that some areas of the universe would be older relative to others?

Sorry if I'm a little misguided.
Thanks in advance.

Space news on Phys.org
Berenices said:
would this mean that some areas of the universe would be older relative to others?
The entire universe inflated simultaneously in this model, I believe. The universe didn't expand from a single point, every point expanded.

Berenices said:
I am slightly curious as to whether the LCDM model may require a slight tweaking.
If it were perfect we wouldn't be looking to improve our understanding and models to complete the picture.

Tweaking the cosmological principle does not enjoy much mainstream support in cosmology.

I personally think that it needs more than a tweak, if some of the basic assumptions of the theory are wrong, that clearly puts the entire theory in grave doubt. There does seem to be a growing body of evidence that points in the direction that the LCDM model is simply wrong.

I actually hope that it is, (to me) it is so messy and ad hoc, that is probably is wrong. But proving existing theories wrong is the job of science, that is what scientists do!

(http://www.scilogs.com/the-dark-mat...ience-discussions-on-the-future-of-cosmology/)

"The work by David Wiltshire (his lecture notes) and Thomas Buchert already indicates that inhomogeneities could possibly make the Universe appear to an observer situated within such an underdensity as if it's expansion is accelerating, although in truth it is not"

"That is, the inhomogeneities appear to be of the correct magnitude to eliminate the need for Lambda, Lambda (dark energy) merely being an apparent effect mis-interpreted by the supernova type 1a data. The reason lies in that a distant object's observed redshift depends in reality on the exact paths the photons travel in a universe which consists of time-changing voids and over-densities, and this is a different redshift computed assuming a homogeneous and isotropic expanding Universe."

So if you take away from the LCDM the assumption that redshift is a measure of distance and expansion, where does that lead the LCDM model? That is the kind of issue that no amount of tweaking is going to fix.

Surely all the evidence does point to an accelerating expansion? However I think these propositions probably need to be at least tested to see if they fit the universe.

Last edited:
Okay, Thomas Buchert says that the results are intermediate. Removing the cosmological principle could explain dark energy, but the effects could also be not very pronounced. He does say that however pronounced they are it will probably have an effect on the modelling of the late universe. IMO the effects could not be so pronounced as to remove the need for the cosmological constant, but It will be interested to see where this goes.

Berenices said:
Greetings,
I am slightly curious as to whether the LCDM model may require a slight tweaking. The reason I am curious is because I recall reading a while back that removing the homogeneity assumption from our current models could assist in accounting for some of the large-scale structures, and voids that we see in the universe.

Why do you think the existence of large-scale structure is inconsistent with LCDM? Do you have any evidence or references? There have been many studies, for example this paper, that show that measurements of large-scale structure are very consistent with the LCDM model.

Likes QuantumQuest
To my knowledge, The Great Cold spot is an anomaly that has a 1% chance of forming due to random fluctuations, that in itself does not warrant that the LCDM model is wrong. However, we also see structures - such as the Hercules-Corona Borealis Great Wall, which should not form within 13 billion years according to the LCDM model. While I agree that the LCDM model does an excellent job modelling the universe as a whole (at least in it's present epoch) I would like to know whether tweaking it could account for these above stated inconsistencies.

Last edited:
Chronos said:
Tweaking the cosmological principle does not enjoy much mainstream support in cosmology.

You should watch the movie The Principle. It discusses the issue of the cosmological/Copernican Principle, and features Lawrence Krauss, Max Tegmark, Michio Kaku, George FR Ellis, Julian Barbour, Bernard Carr and others (narrated by Kate Mulgrew, aka Captain Janeway of Star Trek). And yes it is quite controversial, and no, the scientists were not tricked (though initially Lawrence Krauss and Kate Mulgrew claim so, and others followed).

The large scale structure age problem has been bandied about as evidence against the big bang since before Arp was 'Seeing Red' despite repeated refutations [re: http://www.astro.ucla.edu/~wright/lerner_errors.html] . It's like a zombie - it's a beast that just won't stay dead.

Last edited by a moderator:
Berenices said:
To my knowledge, The Great Cold spot is an anomaly that has a 1% chance of forming due to random fluctuations, that in itself does not warrant that the LCDM model is wrong. However, we also see structures - such as the Hercules-Corona Borealis Great Wall, which should not form within 13 billion years according to the LCDM model. While I agree that the LCDM model does an excellent job modelling the universe as a whole (at least in it's present epoch) I would like to know whether tweaking it could account for these above stated inconsistencies.

You keep saying that these large structures are not consistent with LCDM, but you haven't given me any references to support what you are saying. Here is another study looking explicitly at your question, whether the largest structures are consistent with LCDM, and their conclusion is that the largest structures are perfectly consistent with LCDM.

Before deciding to tweak LCDM, you have to show that there is a discrepancy that justifies the tweaking.

Likes Chronos
Okay, AFAIK, that has to do with the SGW. The Hercules-Corona Borealis Wall is about much larger, is that type of discrepancy covered? Sorry, I am not fully informed about the refutation of how these large structures can form within our current framework. What I think matters is if we can prove that removing the Cosmological Principle describes the universe better or produces a different result. Then we can know if there may be something wrong with our models, is that not science?

Berenices said:
Okay, AFAIK, that has to do with the SGW. The Hercules-Corona Borealis Wall is about 2.5x larger, is that type of discrepancy covered? Sorry, I am not fully informed about the refutation of how these large structures can form within our current framework. What I think matters is if we can prove that removing the Cosmological Principle describes the universe better or produces a different result. Then we can know if there may be something wrong with our models, is that not science?

Why don't you try reading the paper and see if they discuss larger structures than the SGW?

Okay, I will when I have time.
Note: about the referencing, of course fewer papers are going to be written about discrepancies from the LCDM. That is out of the domain of mainstream science. As stated, I think we need to at least put in the effort to see whether tweaking the Cosmological Principle produces different results or better describes the universe. Unless the results produced are exactly the same as with the Cosmological Principle, we will know there is room to improve the LCDM model.

Berenices said:
Note: about the referencing, of course fewer papers are going to be written about discrepancies from the LCDM. That is out of the domain of mainstream science.
I don't know why you think this is true. Ask yourself, if I'm a researcher, especially a young researcher, which of the following would do more to enhance my career:

(A) Writing yet another paper showing that the LCDM model is a good description of the universe.

(B) Writing a paper showing a flaw in the LCDM model, and proposing an enhancement which fits the data better.

The answer is clearly (B). For this reason, many people are working trying to determine the limits of the LCDM model.

As stated, I think we need to at least put in the effort to see whether tweaking the Cosmological Principle produces different results or better describes the universe. Unless the results produced are exactly the same as with the Cosmological Principle, we will know there is room to improve the LCDM model.

OK, go for it.

I think this is true due to the fact that we are educated and trained to think in a certain way, and this generally can lead to biases. I don't want to sound like a crank, but imagination is scorned within science, it seems we need to be logical and forward thinking, and adhere to the mainstream. Especially with something like modelling, the opposite should be the case. Simply apply Occam's Razor to this problem it would seem the most logical route would be to abolish the cosmological Principle and simply see what should happen. Do you disagree with this?

Berenices said:
I think this is true due to the fact that we are educated and trained to think in a certain way, and this generally can lead to biases. I don't want to sound like a crank, but imagination is scorned within science, it seems we need to be logical and forward thinking, and adhere to the mainstream. Especially with something like modelling, the opposite should be the case. Simply apply Occam's Razor to this problem it would seem the most logical route would be to abolish the cosmological Principle and simply see what should happen. Do you disagree with this?
I think you are free to explore the consequences of any set of assumptions you'd like. Please go ahead and do the study you are proposing. I look forward to reading the paper.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Any discussion of cosmological models, LCDM or otherwise, needs to be based on specific references. Vague gestures in the direction of an imagined alternative are not sufficient. Thread closed.

Last edited:

1. What is the LCDM model and why is it important?

The LCDM (Lambda Cold Dark Matter) model is the most widely accepted model for explaining the evolution and structure of the universe. It is a cosmological model that includes the expansion of the universe, dark matter, and dark energy. It is important because it can accurately predict and explain various observations of the universe, such as the cosmic microwave background, the large-scale structure of galaxies, and the accelerated expansion of the universe.

2. Does the LCDM model accurately describe the observed universe?

Yes, the LCDM model has been extensively tested and has been found to accurately describe the observed universe on large scales. It has been able to explain and predict various observations, such as the distribution of galaxies, the cosmic microwave background, and the expansion of the universe.

3. What evidence suggests that the LCDM model may need reworking?

Although the LCDM model has been successful in explaining many observations, there are some discrepancies that have been observed on small scales. For example, the rotation curves of galaxies do not match the predicted behavior based on the amount of visible matter in the galaxy. This suggests that there may be some flaws in the current model that need to be addressed.

4. What are some proposed modifications to the LCDM model?

There are several proposed modifications to the LCDM model that aim to address the discrepancies observed on small scales. These include theories such as modified Newtonian dynamics (MOND) and the introduction of new particles such as sterile neutrinos. Some scientists also suggest changes to the fundamental laws of gravity, such as modifications to General Relativity.

5. How can we test and improve the LCDM model?

To test and improve the LCDM model, scientists use various methods such as observations from telescopes and experiments with particle accelerators. By studying the behavior of matter and energy on different scales, scientists can gather more data and make more accurate predictions. Additionally, advancements in technology and new discoveries may provide new insights and help refine the model.