Does the lim x→0 of (x^4)(sin1/x) exist?

• Thread starter smeiste
  • Start date
In summary: Since as 1/x → 0+, the limit is +∞ but when 1/x → 0-, the limit is -∞. Since these two-sided limits don't match I thought the limit could not be calculated. apparently this is incorrect. any thoughts?In summary, the limit as x approaches 0 of sin(1/x) does not exist, so you can't use the usual theorems about products (or quotients) of limits. However, since |\sin x| \leq 1, the limit does exist and is zero.
smeiste

Homework Statement

I need to solve this limit.
lim (x^4)(sin1/x)
x→0

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Since as 1/x → 0+, the limit is +∞ but when 1/x → 0-, the limit is -∞. Since these two-sided limits don't match I thought the limit could not be calculated. apparently this is incorrect. any thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes it does exist. Basically you have to rearrange the function (I know I'm not using great math vocab here).

You take x^4*sin(1/x) and make it x^4 / (1/sin(1/x)). you then have 0/1...which the limit is 0.

Correct me if I am way off but that is how I would do it.

Last edited:
The limit as x approaches 0 of sin(1/x) does not exist, so you can't use the usual theorems about products (or quotients) of limits.

But since [itex]|\sin x| \leq 1[/itex],
[tex]|x^4 \sin(1/x)| = |x^4| \cdot |\sin(1/x)| \leq |x^4| \cdot 1[/tex]
so the limit does exist and is zero.

awkward said:
The limit as x approaches 0 of sin(1/x) does not exist, so you can't use the usual theorems about products (or quotients) of limits.

But since [itex]|\sin x| \leq 1[/itex],
[tex]|x^4 \sin(1/x)| = |x^4| \cdot |\sin(1/x)| \leq |x^4| \cdot 1[/tex]
so the limit does exist and is zero.

Yep, that's right.

awesome. thanks guys!

smeiste said:
Since as 1/x → 0+, the limit is +∞ but when 1/x → 0-, the limit is -∞. Since these two-sided limits don't match I thought the limit could not be calculated. apparently this is incorrect. any thoughts?
The problem isn't asking about 1/x. It's asking about sin(1/x), and in particular, the it is asking about the product of x4 with the sine of 1/x. You are correct in the sense that sin(1/x) is undefined as x→0. It is however bounded: [itex]-1\le \sin(1/x) \le 1[/itex] for all x. Thus [itex]-x^4\le x^4\sin(1/x)≤x^4[/itex]. What does the squeeze theorem say about this as x→0?

that since the limits on both of those sides equals 0 then the limit must also equal 0. that is extremely helpful. Thank you!

1. What is the limit of (x^4)(sin1/x) as x approaches 0?

The limit of (x^4)(sin1/x) as x approaches 0 is 0. This can be determined by using the Squeeze Theorem and the fact that the sine function is bounded between -1 and 1.

2. How is the limit of (x^4)(sin1/x) calculated?

The limit of (x^4)(sin1/x) can be calculated by substituting 0 for x and simplifying the expression. This results in the limit being equal to 0.

3. Why does the limit of (x^4)(sin1/x) as x approaches 0 exist?

The limit of (x^4)(sin1/x) as x approaches 0 exists because the function is continuous and bounded near x=0. This allows us to use the Squeeze Theorem to determine the limit as 0.

4. Can the limit of (x^4)(sin1/x) be evaluated using L'Hopital's rule?

No, L'Hopital's rule cannot be used to evaluate the limit of (x^4)(sin1/x) as x approaches 0. This is because L'Hopital's rule can only be used for limits involving indeterminate forms such as 0/0 or ∞/∞, and the given limit does not fall under any of these forms.

5. Does the limit of (x^4)(sin1/x) exist if the expression is changed to (x^4)(cos1/x)?

Yes, the limit of (x^4)(sin1/x) also exists if the expression is changed to (x^4)(cos1/x). This is because the limit is determined by the behavior of the function near x=0, and both the sine and cosine functions approach 0 as x approaches 0.