1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Does the lim x→0 of (x^4)(sin1/x) exist?

1. Dec 18, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I need to solve this limit.
    lim (x^4)(sin1/x)
    x→0

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Since as 1/x → 0+, the limit is +∞ but when 1/x → 0-, the limit is -∞. Since these two-sided limits don't match I thought the limit could not be calculated. apparently this is incorrect. any thoughts?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 18, 2011 #2
    Yes it does exist. Basically you have to rearrange the function (I know I'm not using great math vocab here).

You take x^4*sin(1/x) and make it x^4 / (1/sin(1/x)). you then have 0/1...which the limit is 0.

Correct me if I am way off but that is how I would do it.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2011
  4. Dec 18, 2011 #3
    The limit as x approaches 0 of sin(1/x) does not exist, so you can't use the usual theorems about products (or quotients) of limits.

But since [itex]|\sin x| \leq 1[/itex],
    [tex]|x^4 \sin(1/x)| = |x^4| \cdot |\sin(1/x)| \leq |x^4| \cdot 1[/tex]
    so the limit does exist and is zero.

5. Dec 18, 2011 #4
    Yep, thats right.

6. Dec 18, 2011 #5
    awesome. thanks guys!

7. Dec 18, 2011 #6

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The problem isn't asking about 1/x. It's asking about sin(1/x), and in particular, the it is asking about the product of x4 with the sine of 1/x. You are correct in the sense that sin(1/x) is undefined as x→0. It is however bounded: [itex]-1\le \sin(1/x) \le 1[/itex] for all x. Thus [itex]-x^4\le x^4\sin(1/x)≤x^4[/itex]. What does the squeeze theorem say about this as x→0?

8. Dec 18, 2011 #7
    that since the limits on both of those sides equals 0 then the limit must also equal 0. that is extremely helpful. Thank you!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook