1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Does the Limit exist?

1. May 25, 2013 #1
    1. lim as x->∞of 3x3+cosx/sinx-x3

2. My Attempt below:

3. lim as x->∞ of 3x3+lim as x->∞ of cosx/lim as x->∞ of sinx-lim as x->∞ of x3

Breaking down problem even further:

lim as x->∞ of 3x3 = ∞
    lim as x->∞ of cosx= 1. This is because by squeeze theorem, -1<cosx<1, therefore lim reaches 1
    lim as x->∞ of sinx= 1. This is because by squeeze theorem, -1<sinx<1, therefore lim reaches 1
    lim as x->∞ of x3 =∞

∴ = +1/1-∞ = -∞

Is this correct?

2. jcsd
  3. May 25, 2013 #2
    I don't think you understand the squeeze theorem. Do you mean ##\frac{3x^3+\cos{x}}{\sin{x}-x^3}## or ##3x^3 + \frac{\cos{x}}{\sin{x}-x^3}##?

4. May 25, 2013 #3
    ##\frac{3x^3+\cos{x}}{\sin{x}-x^3}##

5. May 25, 2013 #4
    ##\lim_{x\to\infty} \frac{3x^3+\cos(x)}{\sin(x)-x^3}##
    the limit does exist

6. May 25, 2013 #5
    And does the limit = -∞

7. May 25, 2013 #6
    no, sorry, it's

##\lim_{x\to\infty} \frac{3x^3+\cos(x)}{\sin(x)-x^3}=-3##

try with the squeeze theorem

8. May 25, 2013 #7
    I am not getting the concept of squeeze theorem clearly. I thought the following:

lim as x->∞ of cosx= 1. This is because by squeeze theorem, -1<cosx<1, therefore lim reaches 1
    lim as x->∞ of sinx= 1. This is because by squeeze theorem, -1<sinx<1, therefore lim reaches 1

What am I doing wrong?

9. May 25, 2013 #8
    You aren't understanding what the squeeze rule says.

Let ##g(x)\leq f(x)\leq h(x)##. The squeeze rule says that, if ##\displaystyle \lim_{x\rightarrow\alpha}g(x)=\lim_{x\rightarrow\alpha}h(x)=L##, then ##\displaystyle \lim_{x\rightarrow\alpha}f(x)=L##.

For example, the squeeze theorem doesn't apply for ##\displaystyle \lim_{x\rightarrow\infty}\sin{x}## because ##\displaystyle \lim_{x\rightarrow\infty}[-1]\neq\lim_{x\rightarrow\infty}[1]##.

Edit:
    Think of it this way.

$$\lim_{x\rightarrow\infty}\frac{3x^3+\cos{x}}{\sin{x}-x^3}=\lim_{x\rightarrow\infty}\frac{3x^3(1+\frac{\cos{x}}{3x^3})}{-x^3(-\frac{\sin{x}}{x^3}+1)}$$

Last edited: May 25, 2013
  10. May 25, 2013 #9
    ok then. When applying the squeeze theorem,

how are you concluding to this?

##\lim_{x\to\infty} \frac{3x^3+\cos(x)}{\sin(x)-x^3}=-3##

11. May 25, 2013 #10
    so ...

$$\lim_{x\rightarrow\infty}\frac{3x^3+\cos{x}}{\sin{x}-x^3}=\lim_{x\rightarrow\infty}\frac{3x^3(1+\frac{\cos{x}}{3x^3})}{-x^3(-\frac{\sin{x}}{x^3}+1)}$$ = -3

I GET IT! @Mandelbroth. your new edit was helpful! VERY HELPFUL

Cheers,

12. May 26, 2013 #11

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I'm glad you got it. Now, let me point out that [itex]\lim_{x\to \infty} sin(x)[/itex] and [itex]\lim_{x\to \infty} cos(x)[/itex] are NOT 0. They continue to alternate between -1 and 1 and do not "approach" any number. You use the "squeeze theorem" to argue that because [itex]-1\le sin(x)\le 1[/itex] and [itex]-1\le cos(x)\le 1[/itex], [itex]-\frac{1}{x}\le \frac{sin(x)}{x}\le \frac{1}{x}[/itex] and [itex]-\frac{1}{x}\le \frac{sin(x)}{x}\le \frac{1}{x}[/itex] so that [itex]\lim_{x\to\infty} \frac{sin(x)}{x}= \lim_{x\to\infty} \frac{cos(x)}{x}= 0[/itex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted