Energy Storage & Mass Change: Is There a Link?

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between energy storage/production and mass change. It is confirmed that every energy storage/production will have an associated effect on mass. The example of two identical springs in a sulfuric acid solution is used to illustrate this concept. It is clarified that while a charged battery has more mass than one with no charge, a compressed spring's increased energy does not require charge transfer and instead causes displacement of atoms. This results in a negligible increase in the spring's mass.
I_am_learning
I mean to ask is every Energy storage or production associated with mass change?

Physics news on Phys.org

The mass of the spring will increase when compressed as the system contains MORE energy.

And yes every energy storage/change will have an associated effect on mass.

Edit My post has confused me now. Can someone please confirm is jacksnap is right. It would mean my original thinking is good and my later later confused thinking is wrong.

Last edited:

bm0p700f has confused me. I need clarification please!

I think jacksnap is correct. I have seen the following experiment. Get two identical springs. Compress one and tie it up with string, and attach one end of a copper wire to each spring. Put both in a mild sulfuric acid solution (maybe 1N). Is the action of the acid on the two springs different (bubbles, etc.). Why?

LOL, now I need clarification,

I was always under the impression that the more energy a system has, the more mass it has. (although only very very slightly)

ie, a charged battery has more mass then one with no charge, so i assumed it was the same for a compressed spring.

Yes, the compressed spring has more energy. But it is unlike a battery, because no charge transfer is required. The extra energy is in the displacement of individual atoms from their minimum energy state (mechanical stress). In terms of mass of the spring; the extra stored energy has to increase the mass of the spring by a minscule amount.

Understood this. Thanks everybody. Don't like to loose mass my spending more energy by typing, so bye!

1. What is energy storage and mass change?

Energy storage refers to the process of storing energy for later use. This can include storing electricity in batteries or storing potential energy in the form of compressed air or pumped water. Mass change, on the other hand, refers to the change in mass of a substance due to a chemical reaction or physical process.

2. Is there a relationship between energy storage and mass change?

Yes, there is a direct relationship between energy storage and mass change. This is due to the law of conservation of mass, which states that mass cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed. Therefore, any change in energy storage will result in a corresponding change in mass.

3. How does energy storage affect mass change in chemical reactions?

In chemical reactions, energy is often either released or absorbed. This energy can come in the form of heat, light, or electricity. When energy is released, it can cause a change in mass due to the conversion of energy into matter. Similarly, when energy is absorbed, it can result in a decrease in mass as matter is converted into energy.

4. Can energy storage be used to change the mass of an object?

Yes, energy storage can be used to change the mass of an object. For example, if a battery is used to power a motor, the energy stored in the battery will be converted into motion, which can result in a change in mass as the object moves.

5. How does the law of conservation of energy relate to energy storage and mass change?

The law of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed. This means that any change in energy storage will result in a corresponding change in mass. Additionally, the law of conservation of mass also applies, meaning that the total mass of a system will remain constant even as energy is transformed within the system.