Does the Milky Way Orbit Anything? Investigating Our Galaxy's Center

In summary: Scientists believe that this expansion is due to the space between objects getting bigger and bigger. Over time, the masses of all the objects in the universe will eventually equal out and gravity will take over and create a new universe.
sprasannaonlin
Does the milkyway orbits anything ?? like sun orbiting center black hole of our galaxy

Does the milkyway orbits anything ?? like sun orbiting center black hole of our galaxy
i have this question bcoz
our moon moves towards(orbiting) Earth but can't reach or hit Earth bcoz Earth moves towards(orbiting) sun
but even Earth can't hit sun bcoz sun moves towards(orbiting) our galaxy centered big mass black hole but even our sun can't reach or hit center of our galaxy
so its shows that even our center of galaxy big black hole moves towards(orbiting) something??
if yes towards what ??

Astronomy news on Phys.org

sprasannaonlin said:

Our galaxy is bound to the other galaxies in our "Local Group", which includes the Large and Small Magellanic Clouds, The Andromeda Galaxy, and the Triangulum Galaxy. (Among others.) It's not quite an "orbit" like our planet is around our Sun, it's more like a multiple star system with each star orbiting a center of mass that varies wildly over time, leading to chaotic movement. Although in about 4 billion years our galaxy will merge with the Andromeda galaxy as the two collide.

i have this question bcoz
our moon moves towards(orbiting) Earth but can't reach or hit Earth bcoz Earth moves towards(orbiting) sun

Both the Earth and the Moon orbit around a common center of mass between themselves. This center of mass point orbits the Sun. So you could say both the Earth and the Moon orbit around each other AND AT THE SAME TIME they orbit the Sun together.

but even Earth can't hit sun bcoz sun moves towards(orbiting) our galaxy centered big mass black hole but even our sun can't reach or hit center of our galaxy

Similar to the above situation, the Earth and Sun orbit around a common center of mass, which itself orbits the galaxy. Contrary to popular belief the supermassive black hole at the center of our galaxy is NOT what it holding us in orbit. (But it does add to the gravitational pull of course) The mass of the stars, planets, dust, and gas inside of our own orbit FAR outdoes the mass of the black hole. It is the combination of all this mass, including the black hole, that holds us in our orbit. (I'm ignoring dark matter at the moment, but it has a significant effect too)

Spras, any questions should be posted in a thread, not PM'd, that way everyone can see the answers!

sprasannaonlin said:
what cause the shape of the orbit
like some planet orbits in elliptical shape some in other shape? why that diff ?? is that bcoz of the shape of the different curve a mass making in the fabric sheet like space.

All orbits are either elliptical if they are closed orbits, (meaning they stay in orbit), or hyperbolic. (If an object comes in, swings by another object, and has enough speed not to be captured) It only depends on the speed of the orbiting object. Purely circular orbits do not exist.

why universe expanding rapidly
scientist says its bcoz of space expanding in between each object equally. if that then space is a thing?? a undivisible sub atom?? fabric sheet?? balloon?

A "thing"? That depends on what you mean by a "thing". It isn't something that can be touched, measured, or anything else, yet our math accurately describes reality by saying spacetime is curved in certain ways. And it certainly isn't made up of subatomic particles. All objects and everything within the universe exist "within" spacetime. All this means is that if I want to describe a system of objects I must assign coordinates to each one. This requires 3 numbers for their spatial position, XYZ, and one more for their time coordinate if I want to track them over time. Hence 4 dimensions, 3 of space and 1 of time.

actually according to me i have a crazzy concept
that space is like a fabric balloon, in that mouth blowing part of the balloon in which a white hole is there, from that things come out even now, bcoz of that 'space balloon' expanding that's why space expanding in between each object equally.at some time all mass in the black hole at other part losses all its mass through the white hole at the mouth blowing part of the space balloon. so things from white hole will stop and eventually gravity take charge and at end it creates a great big black hole which forms a new universe at other end through white hole..

This is not correct as far as we know. Here's a few links for you.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metric_expansion_of_space
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_bang_theory

Pay close attention to what is in those articles, AND what ISN'T in those articles.
They mention nothing about white wholes or anything like that. The truth is that we have no idea what the universe was like near the beginning, or if there was something "before the universe" and whatnot. The expansion of space does not require something to exist outside of spacetime or the universe either.

sorry for asking so many questions..
No problem. Just try to take a little more time when writing your posts and use correct grammar, spelling, etc as best you can. Text speak, like "bcuz" is frowned upon here. It is hard to read and makes it seem like you didn't put any effort into writing your post. (And who wants to respond to someone who didn't take the time and effort to ask a proper question?)

thanks for the links, i understand a lot
i am new here
i know my english is so bad
i will try to improve it.

Thanks a lot for all.

I can confirm that the Milky Way does indeed orbit something - the center of our galaxy. Just as the Earth orbits the Sun and the Moon orbits the Earth, the Milky Way orbits the center of our galaxy. This center is a supermassive black hole, which has a gravitational pull on all the stars and objects within the Milky Way.

It is true that the Moon cannot reach or hit the Earth because the Earth is also moving, and the same applies to the Earth and the Sun. However, the gravitational pull of the black hole at the center of our galaxy is much stronger than that of the Sun, which is why the entire Milky Way is moving towards it.

In terms of what the black hole itself may be orbiting, it is currently believed that there is a larger structure or cluster of galaxies called the Local Group, which the Milky Way is a part of. This Local Group is also moving towards an even larger structure called the Virgo Supercluster. So, in a way, the black hole at the center of our galaxy is orbiting this larger structure, and the Milky Way is simply along for the ride.

Overall, the motion of the Milky Way and its orbit around the center of our galaxy is a complex and ongoing process that is still being studied and understood by scientists. But we can say with certainty that the Milky Way does indeed orbit something - the center of our galaxy.

1. What is the Milky Way's orbit?

The Milky Way is constantly moving through space in a circular orbit around its center. This orbit is called the galactic year and it takes approximately 225-250 million Earth years to complete one full orbit.

2. What is at the center of the Milky Way?

The center of the Milky Way is a supermassive black hole, called Sagittarius A*, which has a mass equivalent to about 4 million suns. It is surrounded by a dense cluster of stars and gas, known as the galactic bulge.

3. How does the Milky Way's orbit affect our solar system?

The Milky Way's orbit affects our solar system by causing it to move through space along with the galaxy. This means that our solar system is constantly changing its location within the galaxy and experiencing different gravitational forces from neighboring stars and gas clouds.

4. Can we see the Milky Way's orbit?

We cannot see the Milky Way's orbit directly, but we can observe its effects on other objects in the galaxy. By studying the movement and positions of stars and gas clouds, scientists can determine the shape and speed of the Milky Way's orbit.

5. How do scientists study the Milky Way's orbit?

Scientists use a variety of methods to study the Milky Way's orbit, including analyzing the movement and positions of stars and gas clouds, mapping the distribution of matter in the galaxy, and studying the effects of gravitational forces on objects in the galaxy. They also use computer simulations and models to better understand the dynamics of the Milky Way's orbit.