Neutral Conductor Current: How is it Possible?

In summary, in a balanced three phase system, the neutral current is always zero. This is because the mathematical result of the phases is parted by 120 degrees, meaning that when added together, they cancel each other out and result in a phasor diagram with a zero resultant. However, in residential supply systems, the neutral may carry a current if there is an imbalance between the two phase wires. But within a single branch circuit, the neutral carries the same current as the phase wire.
Manoj Sahu
I read in a book that during normal working condition (balanced system) the current through a neutral conductor is zero i.e., Ia+Ib+Ic =0 where Ia, Ib, Ic are phase current of three different phases a, b, c. How is that possible? I mean if you look at mathematical result of the phases they are parted by 120' each.

Engineering news on Phys.org
In a balanced three phase system, neutral current is always zero.
Manoj Sahu said:
I mean if you look at mathematical result of the phases they are parted by 120' each.
Plot the phasor diagram and see the resultant. It should be zero.

In your thread title, you've mentioned residential load. Residential supply is single phase supply and the neutral carries the same current as the phase wire.

Likes berkeman
Manoj Sahu said:
I read in a book that during normal working condition (balanced system) the current through a neutral conductor is zero i.e., Ia+Ib+Ic =0 where Ia, Ib, Ic are phase current of three different phases a, b, c. How is that possible? I mean if you look at mathematical result of the phases they are parted by 120' each.
?? How is it possible?" you ask ? Do vectors add head to tail?
Get out your drafting tools and add three of equal length separated by 120 degrees .
You'll wind up back where you started, at the origin 0, 0
cnh1995 said:
In your thread title, you've mentioned residential load. Residential supply is single phase supply and
within any single branch circuit- jh
the neutral carries the same current as the phase wire.

On the incoming wires from the pole to the beaker panel , neutral carries the difference between currents on the two phase wires, in other words the imbalance, just as in three phase.

Likes cnh1995
Thanks @jim hardy for that edit.
jim hardy said:
On the incoming wires from the pole to the beaker panel , neutral carries the difference between currents on the two phase wires, in other words the imbalance, just as in three phase
I was talking about Indian supply system: 230V with one hot and one neutral.
So our residential neutrals never carry zero current.

But as you said, phase and neutral currents are equal indeed "within any single branch circuit".

cnh1995 said:
I was talking about Indian supply system: 230V with one hot and one neutral.

Ahh that never dawned on egocentric me ! [ Sheepish grin icon ]

1. What is a neutral conductor and why is it important?

A neutral conductor is a wire that carries the return current in an electrical circuit. It is important because it helps to balance the electrical load and prevent overloading in the circuit.

2. How is it possible for a neutral conductor to have current?

A neutral conductor can have current because it is connected to the source of electricity and serves as a return path for the flow of electrons. This allows the circuit to be completed and the current to flow.

3. Can neutral conductor current be dangerous?

In most cases, neutral conductor current is not dangerous. However, if there is a fault in the circuit or a problem with the neutral wire, it can cause a dangerous situation. It is important to always have a qualified electrician check any issues with the neutral conductor.

4. How does the neutral conductor current affect the overall current in a circuit?

The neutral conductor current is an important part of the overall current in a circuit. It helps to balance the load and keep the circuit functioning properly. If there is too much or too little neutral conductor current, it can cause issues with the circuit.

5. Can neutral conductor current be measured?

Yes, neutral conductor current can be measured using a clamp meter or a multimeter. This can help determine if there is an imbalance in the circuit or if there is a problem with the neutral wire. It is important to follow safety precautions and have proper training before attempting to measure neutral conductor current.