Is there such a thing as the Null Speed in the concept of motion and relativity?

• Thread starter julz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Speed
In summary, the concept of speed is relative and there is no absolute speed in the universe. The speed of light is the only constant speed, and all other speeds are measured relative to the Earth. Understanding Einstein's special theory of relativity can help in grasping the concept of speed and motion.
julz
Hello everyone ;)

When we talk about speed, it's known that motion is relative.
I can say my speed is 0 relatively to my chair.

Is there any possible notion of "absolute speed", as there is no center of the universe ?

I believe that the answer will be no, as motion is relative, however I don't get the reason (and it might be because I don't really understand the concept of speed/motion).

But, when we say that a galaxy is moving at x speed, but what is it relative to ?

Once again, the question is difficult for me to express, but it's still worth trying ;)

Physics news on Phys.org
When we say that a galaxy is moving with speed x, we mean relative to the Earth -- since that is where the measurement is made. The speed of light is the only absolute speed in the universe -- it moves at the same speed (in vacuum) for all observers. If you are not familiar with Einstein's special theory of relativity, you should investigate it. I think it will be just what you are looking for.

Actually, I "knew" about the speed of light and special relativity. Or should I say, I read about it, as I don't think I have the necessary background to fully understand it. Maybe I have missed something about it though :)

1. What is the null speed?

The null speed is a concept in physics that refers to the hypothetical speed at which an object would have zero velocity. In other words, it is the speed at which an object would not be moving at all.

2. Does the null speed actually exist?

Currently, there is no evidence to suggest that the null speed exists in the physical world. It is a theoretical concept that is used in certain equations and thought experiments, but it has not been observed or measured in reality.

3. How is the null speed different from zero speed?

The null speed and zero speed are often used interchangeably, but there is a subtle difference. Zero speed refers to an object that is not moving at all, while the null speed is a hypothetical speed that an object would have if it had zero velocity.

4. Can an object actually reach the null speed?

According to current understandings of physics, it is not possible for an object to reach the null speed. This is because, in order to have zero velocity, an object would need to have no acceleration, which is not possible in our physical world.

5. How is the null speed used in physics?

The null speed is used in theoretical calculations and thought experiments to explore concepts in physics, such as relativity and the behavior of objects at extreme speeds. It helps scientists to better understand the principles of motion and how they apply in different scenarios.