Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Does the orientational polarization contribute to the permittivity of silicon oxide

1. Oct 20, 2005 #1
    I want to know if the orientational polarization should be included when you calculate the permittivity of the silicon oxide (both crystal and amorphous)?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2005 #2
    I think yes unless you're limiting yourself to a frequency range where it's contribution is small. Don't take this as authorative advice though

4. Oct 20, 2005 #3

Claude Bile

Science Advisor

Permittivity can vary with polarisation. In the optical regime, this is known as birefringence. Amorphous silica does not exhibit significant birefringence, but crystalline silica might, I cannot recall off the top of my head though. This data should be readily available however.

Claude.

P.S. Does that answer your question?

5. Oct 21, 2005 #4
    In most solid there are three kinds of polarization that may contribute to the permittivity,viz Eletronic polarization,orientational polarization and Atomic ploraization.If the solid contains polar molecules,the orientational polarization should be considered. I want to know if the permittivity of silicon oxide (both crystal and amorphous) relates to the orientational polarization.

6. Oct 21, 2005 #5
    Polar liquids have orientational polarization at frequencies that are not too high.

That is why water has such a high relative dielectric constant (about 80).
    But the static dielectric constant of ice is only 3.

7. Oct 24, 2005 #6
    Does it mean that orientational polarization will not affect the permittivity of the other solid?

8. Oct 24, 2005 #7
    Maybe there are solids with orientational polarization. I cannot imagine how SiO2 could be one of them, but I am do not really know what might happen in amorphous SiO2.

Soda ime glass has a static dielectric constant of about 7, depending on composition. I think ionic motion is involved there.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?