Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Does the 'Pauli exclusion principle' imply that the universe is finitely creative?

1. Dec 20, 2009 #1
    Does the 'Pauli exclusion principle' imply that the universe is only finitely creative? It's rather the philosophy than the physics behind it, I'm interested in. I just wanted to be sure I was interpreting this principle correctly. I thought it meant that there are only a discrete amount of states elementary particles can be in? Thanks!

(p.s. I have little background in physics (do have a degree in mathematics). That's maybe something to take in account when answering.)

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 20, 2009 #2

diazona

Homework Helper

Re: Does the 'Pauli exclusion principle' imply that the universe is finitely creative

Not really, it just means that no two fermions (a type of particle, if you didn't know) can be in the same quantum state at the same time. There's nothing wrong with having an infinite number of quantum states, although in any real situation only a few of those states will be occupied with particles.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook