1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Does the principal branch square root of z have a Laurent series expansion C-{0}?

1. Oct 26, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Does the principal branch square root of z have a Laurent series expansion in the domain C-{0}?

3. The attempt at a solution

Well I'm not really sure what a principal branch is? I believe that there is a Laurent series expansion for z^(1/2) in C-{0} because originally our only problem is that when we take derivative of z^1/2 we get 1/z^[(2n+1)/2] and this is not defined at 0, but is everywhere else... so I think the answer is yes to this, but again I'm unsure of the details of principal branch?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2011 #2
    No. The square root is a multifunction and these functions do not have Laurent series about their branch-points because they're not fully analytic in a punctured disc surrounding the branch-point, specifically not so along their branch-cuts

4. Oct 27, 2011 #3
    But does taking the principal branch of square root z not deal with that? Does the principal branch mean we only take the principal roots of z?

5. Oct 27, 2011 #4
    The principal branch is analytic except along it's branch-cut which extends out from the origin so that we do not have an analytic domain in a punctured disk surrounding the origin and yes, the principal branch is the principal root with arg between -pi and pi

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook