Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Does the Riemann tensor have any symmetry?

1. Sep 2, 2014 #1
    We know how objects such as the metric tensor and the Cristoffel symbol have symmetry to them (which is why g12 = g21 or [itex]\Gamma[/itex]112 = [itex]\Gamma[/itex]121)

Well I was wondering if the Riemann tensor Rabmv had any such symmetry. Are there any two or more particular indices that I could interchange and still get the same answer? If so, that will save me so much time when deriving these Riemann tensors.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 2, 2014 #2

Matterwave

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Of course there is, there are actually many symmetries of the Riemann. In fact there is a whole section about it on Wikipedia.

See here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riemann_curvature_tensor#Symmetries_and_identities

For example, in 4 dimensions the Riemann has only 20 independent components. But a rank 4 tensor in 4-D could have a possible 256 components! Good thing it has all these symmetries or else that is way too many components to keep track of!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook