1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Does the system oscillate?

1. May 14, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A spring-mass-damper system has a mass of 150 kg, a stiffness of 1500 N/m, and a damping coefficient of 200 kg/s.

2. Relevant equations

(a) Calculate the undamped natural frequency, the damping ratio, and the damped natural frequency.
    (b) Is the system overdamped, underdamped or critically damped?
    (c) Does the system oscillate?

3. The attempt at a solution

I've tried to source out the appropriate equations and relationships to find the unknowns, but I end up dealing with thing that aren't related to the actual concept of a vibrating mass system. Your help would be greatly appreciated! :)

2. jcsd
  3. May 14, 2013 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello reuben19. Welcome to PF !

According to the rules of this Forum, you must show an attempt at a solution, before we can help you.

Can you do part (a) ?

4. May 14, 2013 #3
    Hi SammyS!

I just had another look around for the appropraite methods in relation to my question, and have figured out how to calculate the damping ratio:

Ratio = damping coefficient/(2√km)

= 200/(2√(1500×150))

= 0.21

In regards to the other sections, I'm afraid i'm still at a loss in terms of finding out the right methods :/

5. May 15, 2013 #4

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Can you calculate the frequency if there's no damping factor ?

6. May 15, 2013 #5
    Yeah i'm pretty sure you can. It's just a matter of finding out how to incorporate it into the calculations.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted