1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Does the world need more teachers?

1. Nov 14, 2017 #41

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

No, I don't object to paying taxes to support education. My point is that (college) students should bear at least a portion of the costs of their education -- have skin in the game, in other words -- as they will be the direct beneficiaries of that education.

2. Nov 15, 2017 #42
    By definition, "most" is anything over 50% - so I can not say you are completely wrong. However, I think the real numbers would surprise you.

If I remember correctly, 9 out of 10 of all new businesses fail in the first ten years. Then again, it's been 20 years since I studied that statistics, so it could better or worse in the current economy. Still, this high rate of ultimate failure effectively provides camouflage to the people I am describing - after all, people pretty much expect a new business owner to eventually fail, regardless of personal expertise.

Also, the people who we are talking about don't just "give up", and go away, when they fail. Once they have tasted a fat salary, with minimal work or knowledge on their part, they just keep going back to the well, for another go. A large percentage of them simply find new... well, "suckers" to work for them, and for investment capital. Often, they break laws, and end up with all expenses paid vacations that last 3 to 5 years, but the fact that they keep repeating the scenario, means that sure, they fail a lot, but that failure doesn't necessarily take them out of the equation, it simply moves them down the street to a different address, in a different industry, or different part of the same industry, where they can pit their charisma against a new pool of individuals.

Sadly, there is a huge number of incompetent, yet moderately successful business owners out there, whose only saving grace is the fact that they have a gift for talking people into doing what they want them to. I wish I could provide numbers for you, but all I have is anecdotal observations.

Not all business owners are idiots, and certainly not even the ones that fail are all idiots, and also, certainly, the numbers of those idiots when you get to huge corporations is small, because the system weeds them out. But when a corporate officer roster reads like a cult of personality - stand back, and watch for the fireworks.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
  3. Nov 15, 2017 #43

Drakkith

Sorry Blank_Stare, I still disagree.

4. Nov 15, 2017 #44
    Hey, that's cool. I never mind a dissenting opinion, when it is offered civilly.

I am also willing to believe that confirmation bias may effect either, or both of our opinions. I've seen a lot of people who were not qualified to do the work they were assigned, or that they assigned others to do, and took credit for. It sounds like you have not. It's a classic case of YMMV.

On another note...

Mark44 raises an interesting concept, namely, making the students "have some skin in the game". It seems to me that there's some truth to the concept, but I can't imagine any way to force the issue. Those with wealth will always have a better chance at a free ride, and those without will either have skin in the game, or not even be in the game, unless/until, college expenses are free to everyone. So while I like the idea of somehow requiring that there be some, (albeit small) personal stake, I just don't see how to make that a universal requirement.

Do you have some idea, Mark44, of how to make that happen? I'd love to hear your thoughts on it.

5. Nov 15, 2017 #45

Drakkith

Absolutely.

Perhaps I just haven't encountered as many of them as you have. *shrug*

6. Nov 15, 2017 #46

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

And/or to find the name of their favorite artist: actor/singer, etc. Do a search for any name ; when you enter a first name, Google will most likely suggest the last name of an artist. Similar for searches of any sort. EDIT: Re reinforcing prejudices, you have Google contributing to that: it tracks your search history and gives you results that somehow " best fit" your previous searches. It then keeps you in a small neighborhood of your experience set, of your previous searches.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted