Simplifying Trig Ratio Identities: Does This Answer Make Sense?

• Thread starter supernova1203
  • Start date
In summary, when solving trig ratio identities problems, you do not cross multiply unless the two expressions are equal to each other. In this case, you should multiply normally. For example, (1/cosθ)(1/cosθ) is the same as 1/cos^2θ. However, it does not equal 1, but rather sec^2θ. This can be explained using the identity 1/a * 1/a = 1/a^2.
supernova1203
Trig ratios identities problems, in this case i am not asked to prove anything, just asked to simplify(Solve)

im left with

(1/costheta)(1/costheta)

At this point do we cross multiply?

we would end up with

costheta/costheta = 1

does this make sense? I encountered a similar problem earlier and it was somewhat like this where the solution was 1.

Physics news on Phys.org
are you saying that from

x = (1/cos(theta))(1/cos(theta))

you arrive at cos(theta)/cos(theta) = x = 1?

that would not be correct...

however the statement

cos(theta)/cos(theta) = 1 would certainly be correct

No, it isn't correct.

You do not cross multiply unless they are equal to each other. In this case, you should multiply normally. You started with (1/cosθ)(1/cosθ), correct?

So in that case (1/cosθ)(1/cosθ) = 1/cos2θ = sec2θ

Yes it doesn't add up

For example 1/cos(theta) x 1/cos (theta) is the same as saying 1/cos^2(theta) does this equal 1?

Find a trig identity that would explain it in different terms I think is your best bet.

Ok that was redundant whs^. :smile:

[tex]\frac{1}{a}\frac{1}{a}= \frac{1}{a^2}[/tex]
not 1.

If you were dividing, it would be
[tex]\frac{\frac{1}{a}}{\frac{1}{a}}= 1[/tex]

1. What does it mean when someone asks "Does this answer make sense?"

As a scientist, when someone asks if an answer makes sense, they are usually asking if the answer aligns with the evidence or data that has been collected. They are questioning the validity and accuracy of the answer.

2. How do I know if an answer makes sense?

There are a few ways to determine if an answer makes sense. First, you can check if the answer is supported by evidence or data. Second, you can ask for clarification or more information to better understand the answer. Lastly, you can check if the answer aligns with your own knowledge or understanding of the topic.

3. Is "making sense" subjective or objective?

The concept of "making sense" can be both subjective and objective. It is subjective in the sense that it can be based on personal opinions and perspectives. However, it can also be objective if there is evidence or data to support the answer.

4. Can an answer make sense but still be incorrect?

Yes, an answer can make sense but still be incorrect. This can happen if the answer is based on faulty or incomplete evidence, or if new evidence is discovered that contradicts the answer.

5. How can I improve the clarity of my answers so they make sense?

To improve the clarity of your answers, make sure to provide enough evidence and data to support your answer. Use clear and concise language, and avoid jargon or technical terms that may be difficult for others to understand. It is also helpful to provide visual aids or diagrams to help explain your answer.