Commutators and Their Properties in Quantum Mechanics

In summary, if we define:A_{j}=\omega \hat{x}_{j}+i \hat{p}_{j}andA^{+}_{j}=\omega \hat{x}_{j}-i \hat{p}_{j}then it would be true to say that:[A_k , (A^{+}_{i}+A_i)(A^{+}_{j}-A_j)]=0My reasoning is that, because[\hat{x}_{j}, \hat{p}_{i}]=0the ordering of the contents
vertices
If we define:

[tex]A_{j}=\omega \hat{x}_{j}+i \hat{p}_{j}[/tex]

and

[tex]A^{+}_{j}=\omega \hat{x}_{j}-i \hat{p}_{j}[/tex]

Would it be true to say:

[tex][A_k , (A^{+}_{i}+A_i)(A^{+}_{j}-A_j)]=0[/tex]

My reasoning is that, because

[tex][\hat{x}_{j}, \hat{p}_{i}]=0[/tex]

the the ordering of the contents of commutation bracket shouldn't matter (as [tex]\hat{x}_{j} \hat{p}_{i}=\hat{p}_{i}\hat{x}_{j}[/tex]), so we simply get that:

[tex][A_k , (A^{+}_{i}+A_i)(A^{+}_{j}-A_j)]=A_{k}(A^{+}_{i}+A_i)(A^{+}_{j}-A_j)-(A^{+}_{i}+A_i)(A^{+}_{j}-A_j)A_{k}= A_{k}(A^{+}_{i}+A_i)(A^{+}_{j}-A_j)-A_{k}(A^{+}_{i}+A_i)(A^{+}_{j}-A_j)=0[/tex]

This seems obvious to me, but it would make a 10 mark exam question too easy! Would be grateful if someone could confirm whether this is right or not.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
What about the case where i=j?

Hurkyl said:
What about the case where i=j?

The question, specifically, is to find:

[tex][A_k , \hat{L}_{ij}]=[A_k, (A^{+}_{i}+A_i)(A^{+}_{j}-A_j)][/tex]

So I am not sure we need to consider the case where i=j.

Ofcourse it would get *really* messy if any of the subscripts are the same. But if i,j and k are not the same, the commutator would be zero, right?

vertices said:
The question, specifically, is to find:

[tex][A_k , \hat{L}_{ij}]=[A_k, (A^{+}_{i}+A_i)(A^{+}_{j}-A_j)][/tex]

So I am not sure we need to consider the case where i=j.
Sounds like you do. You said the question specifically asks you to find that commutator -- not to find that commutator in the special case where i,j,k are all distinct!

Ofcourse it would get *really* messy if any of the subscripts are the same.
It might not be as bad as you think.

But if i,j and k are not the same, the commutator would be zero, right?
Yes.

Hurkyl said:
Sounds like you do. You said the question specifically asks you to find that commutator -- not to find that commutator in the special case where i,j,k are all distinct!It might not be as bad as you think.Yes.

Well

[tex]\hat L_{ij}:=\hat{x}_{i}\hat{p}_{j} - \hat{x}_{j}\hat{p}_{i}
[/tex]

So if i=j

[tex]\hat L_{ii}:=\hat{x}_{i}\hat{p}_{i} - \hat{x}_{i}\hat{p}_{i}=0[/tex]

So the commutator:

[tex]
[A^{+}_{j},\hat L_{ij}]
[/tex]

would also be zero in this case as well

:)

1. What is a commutator?

A commutator is an operator used in mathematics and physics to describe how two quantities or operations interact with each other. It is often denoted by the symbol [A,B] and is defined as AB - BA, where A and B are operators.

2. What does it mean for a commutator to commute?

When we say that a commutator commutes, it means that its result is independent of the order in which the operators are applied. In other words, if [A,B] = 0, then A and B commute with each other.

3. Why is it important to know if a commutator commutes?

Knowing if a commutator commutes is important because it tells us about the fundamental properties of the operators involved. Commuting operators have certain mathematical properties that allow us to simplify and solve equations more easily. It also has implications in quantum mechanics, where commuting operators represent physically measurable quantities that can be measured simultaneously.

4. How can we determine if a commutator commutes?

To determine if a commutator commutes, we can use the commutator rule, [A,B] = AB - BA, and algebraically manipulate the expression to see if it simplifies to zero. If it does, then the commutator commutes.

5. Can a commutator commute for all operators?

No, not all commutators commute. In fact, most commutators do not commute. It depends on the specific operators and their properties. In general, commutators only commute when the operators involved have certain mathematical properties, such as being Hermitian or commuting with each other.