Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Does this concept have a name?

1. Mar 4, 2009 #1
    Hello,
    Let's say I have a group [tex](G,\ast,0)[/tex] and I define an endomorphism [tex]f:G \rightarrow G[/tex]
    I know there is a subset [tex]H \subseteq G[/tex] such that:

[tex]u \in H \\ \Rightarrow \\ f(u)=u[/tex]

Essentially we have defined an endomorphism which, for a subset H, behaves like the identity function.
    Is this a known concept which has a name? Does the subset H or the endomorphism f have a particular name?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 4, 2009 #2
    I'm not familiar with the name but this is actually a property shared with all endomorphisms. Since if you consider the trivial subgroup (of only the identity element), any endomorphism must preserve the identity. Hence [tex]e \in H = \{e\} \Rightarrow f(e)=e[/tex].

4. Mar 4, 2009 #3
    You are right, but unfortunately I noticed that my question was a bit too vague (and incorrect).
    Let's be more specific:

what is given are: the group G and a non-trivial subset [tex]H \subseteq G[/tex] which not necessarily contains the identity element;

what I want to find is an endmorphism f which satisfies the property [tex]f(u) = u[/tex] whenever [tex]u\in H[/tex].

Let's assume that I find an f with that property. The question is: what can I say about it? Is it a known concept? Can I say that I found an XXXXXX endomorphism, or an XXXXXXX subset where I can replace the X's with a formal algebraic term?

5. Mar 4, 2009 #4
    I actually never read about it, so I can't make any claims about it's significance.
    Your last phrasing of the problem I believe doesn't help much. You are given a group G, and a non-trivial subset H, finding an f that is the identity when restricted to H is trivial. Just let f be the identity map!. But I'm not quite sure that is what you had in mind.

Now, let's try another way, let's say you have a group G, an endomorphism f and a non-trivial subset H such that x in H implies f(x) = x. Is H the only subset, or the largest subset with this property?

To answer this, we may investigate what the set of all such elements would look like?
    Define H as a subset of G that contain the elements of G such that x in H implies f(x) = x.

H is non-empty and contains the identity, as shown earlier.

H is closed under the binary operation: assume there is a non trivial x that is preserved by f, i.e f(x) = x in H. Then we know that f(xx) = f(x)f(x) since f is a homomorphism. But we must have f(xx) = f(x)f(x) = xx. So xx also satisfy this property and are in H.

H contains the inverse of each element: [tex]1 = f(1) = f(x x^{-1}) = f(x) f(x^{-1}) = x f(x^{-1})[/tex], so that [tex]f(x^{-1})= x^{-1}[/tex]

Hence you may conclude that H is a group (cyclic subgroup if we picked only x), and the restriction of f to H is a homomorphism(injective). It is also the smallest subgroup of G that has f(x) = x for some x in G.

If G is generated by a set X, and the endomorphism f preserve each element in that set, i.e f(x) = x for each x in X, then f is the identity map!

So you may conclude from this discussion that if H is a subset of G, where f(x) = x for all x in H, then there's a subgroup K of G generated by H such that f(K) = K.

Does this help?

Last edited: Mar 4, 2009
  6. Mar 4, 2009 #5
    your discussion was very interesting and, in fact, it also helped me to understand that I formulated the problem incorrectly.

I guess I was wrong in letting f be an endomorphism.
    f is simply supposed to be a function (defined in all G) and with the property we mentioned in respect to H.

but then I guess not much can be further discussed(???)

7. Mar 4, 2009 #6
  8. Mar 5, 2009 #7
    The analog of invariant subspaces for groups is the the characteristic subgroup which is a subgroup H of a group G that is invariant under ALL automorphisms of G. If we let f be an arbitrary automorphism then for H to be a characteristic subgroup, f(x) is in H for every x in H. But it doesn't tell us that f(x)=x.

9. Mar 5, 2009 #8
    uhm...I already stumbled upon the concept of characteristic subgroup, and thanks for the hint. However I agree with wsalem:

if H is to be a characteristic-subgroup, then it means that for all automorphisms f in G, f(x) is still in H but we dont necessarily have f(x)=x.

Moreover this definition apparently requires f to be an automorphism, which is not the case, because (as I corrected in my last post) f is simply a total function, perhaps surjective, whose restriction on H is an inclusion map.

Unfortunately I am not able to find a better way to formalize all this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Restriction_(mathematics [Broken])
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inclusion_map

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  10. Mar 5, 2009 #9
    mnb96, I believe dropping the homomorphism requirement is not the right direction, you'll lose plenty of information then.

Here's a couple of question for you.

Let G be a group, f an endomorphism, H the subgroup of all elements satisfying f(x) = x in G. Is the subset J where f(x) doesn't equal x (for all non trivial x in G) ever a subgroup? Do we need to impose any restrictions on G?

If J turns out to be a subgroup, then assuming that G is abelian, can we say that G is the direct sum of a subgroup that is preserved by f and another that isn't, i.e G is the direct sum of H and J?

What the quotient group G/H look like, how is it different from Im f/H.
    Considering the canonical projection p: G -> G/H. How's pf and p are different?

Last edited: Mar 5, 2009
  11. Mar 5, 2009 #10
    The group G must be abelian (again I forgot to mention it); and losing information outside H is not a big deal, actually it is likely to be desirable.

In fact, for what I want to do, it is ideal that the function f maps all the elements of H to themselves (like the identity function) and at the same time it maps all the remaining elements of G-H into the identity element.

Does this makes any difference?

12. Mar 5, 2009 #11
    Wouldn't this make f a little bit trivial. What am I missing here? It doesn't look very interesting!

Which object are you trying to study? The group G, the subset H, or the map f? Also why G is a group and not just a set, what advantage does this give with f only a map and not a homomorphism?

13. Mar 5, 2009 #12
    Hello,
    please, keep in mind that this is not the whole problem I am studying.
    The whole problem is essentially about two different algebraic-structures which consist both in an abelian group, plus this "trivial" operation f.

The idea is trying to find both an isomorphism g and the function f such that f is preserved by the isomorphism.

In this way one is able to have the following:

[tex]g(u+v)\bullet g(f(u+v))^{-1} = [/tex]

[tex]= g(u)\bullet g(v)\bullet f(g(u+v))^{-1} = [/tex]

[tex]= g(u)\bullet g(v)\bullet f(g(u) \bullet g(v))^{-1} = [/tex]

[tex]= g(u)\bullet g(v)\bullet g(f(v))^{-1} \bullet g(f(u))^{-1} = [/tex]

...assuming [tex]v \in H[/tex] we have f(v)=v, so

[tex]= g(u)\bullet g(v)\bullet g(v)^{-1} \bullet g(f(u))^{-1} = [/tex]

[tex]= g(u)\bullet g(f(u))^{-1} = [/tex]

...this quantity is interesting to me, because it is independent from v.

if ideally the function f mapped everything outside H into the indentity element we would have:

[tex] g(u) \bullet g(f(u))^{-1} = g(u)[/tex]

and since g was an isomorphism I would be able to recover u.

This is the big picture: hopefully it makes more sense

14. Mar 6, 2009 #13
    uhm...... While checking what I've written in the previous post, I just noticed two important things:

1) I implicitly used the identity [tex]f(x\bullet y) = f(x) \bullet f(y) [/tex]. If this is to be true, then one must admit that f is indeed an endomorphism.

2) if we want to get rid of the dependence on any [tex]v \in H[/tex] in the last equation, then we must admit that it is not possible to have [tex]\exists(v,v') : (v+v)' \notin H[/tex]; if I am not wrong this is only possible when H is a subgroup of G.

If this is correct then we can agree that you made the best possible discussion in your second post.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook