Is There a Fastener That Combines a Set Screw and Thread Hole for Mounting?

• Thread starter tomizzo
  • Start date
In summary, there is a type of fastener that combines a set screw and thread hole for mounting purposes. This fastener is known as a set screw threaded insert and it allows for easy and secure installation without the need for additional tools. These fasteners are commonly used in various industries such as automotive, aerospace, and electronics. They offer a reliable and efficient solution for attaching components together.
tomizzo
Hi there,

I'm looking for a specific type of fastener of which I don't know actually exists. I'm hoping someone here will be able to point me in a direction or give other advice.

In the simplest terms, I'm attempting to mount a rod and mass such that it can rotate on an encoder shaft. However, I don't what would be the best/most lightweight method for doing this.

Referring to the image (here - http://imgur.com/6YBB4S2), I'm hoping that there exists a device that has a hole with set screw such that it can be fastened to the rod. And then I also wish for this device to have a thread hole such that the rod can be fastened to it. Refer to the assembly in the lower part of the diagram.

Does such a device exist? Are there easier methods for doing this? I'm looking for a light weight solution.

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Meccano was the traditional source for oddities like this . Still lots of it for sale new and second hand :

http://www.meccano.com/

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=m...ved=0CAgQ_AUoAmoVChMIp_mf74_tyAIVA-wUCh1UOQmI

And Fischer Technik :

http://www.fischertechnik.de/en/Home/products.aspx

Other technical toy kits also often have many useful parts for experimenting .

If it was me though I would just make one . Rough and ready version in ten minutes . Fully machined accurate version in 20 minutes .

A collar with two threaded holes might work (one hole for the setscrew, and one hole for the threaded rod). If the collar slips, a flat could be machined on the encoder shaft.

tomizzo said:
Referring to the image (here - http://imgur.com/6YBB4S2),

Looks like you could just make your own using some thick PVC pipe with the right ID. Drilling and tapping plastic is easy...

Perhaps just drill a hole through the potentiometer shaft. Put a threaded rod through the hole with a nut either side.

How do you plan on supporting the shaft of the encoder? They are not usually designed for load bearing.

BoB

Likes berkeman
Hi there rbell1,

The diagram I drew is not completely accurate in describing my design. I have a bearing that will support the load such that the force due the load will not hurt the encoder.

tomizzo said:
Hi there rbell1,

The diagram I drew is not completely accurate in describing my design. I have a bearing that will support the load such that the force due the load will not hurt the encoder.

It would take two sets of bearing races to support the load, no?

Likes rbelli1

Attachments

• locking.png
    locking.png
    10.4 KB · Views: 348

1. Is there a fastener that can hold heavy weights?

Yes, there are several types of fasteners that are specifically designed to hold heavy weights. Some examples include anchor bolts, lag screws, and wedge anchors. These fasteners are often made of strong materials such as steel and are designed to distribute weight evenly to prevent failure.

2. Can I find a fastener that is resistant to corrosion?

Absolutely. There are many fasteners that are made of corrosion-resistant materials such as stainless steel and galvanized steel. These materials are specially treated to prevent rust and corrosion, making them perfect for outdoor or marine applications.

3. Are there fasteners that can be easily removed and reused?

Yes, there are fasteners designed for easy removal and reuse. These include types such as wing nuts, toggle bolts, and snap hooks. These fasteners can be easily loosened and removed without causing damage to the material they are attached to, making them great for temporary installations.

4. Can I find a fastener that is suitable for different types of surfaces?

Yes, there are fasteners that are designed to work on a variety of surfaces. For example, self-drilling screws are perfect for attaching materials to metal surfaces, while wood screws are better for attaching materials to wood surfaces. It's important to choose the right type of fastener for the specific surface you are working with to ensure a secure and long-lasting hold.

5. Are there fasteners that can withstand extreme temperatures?

Yes, there are fasteners that are designed to withstand extreme temperatures. For example, heat-resistant fasteners made of materials such as titanium and nickel are able to withstand high temperatures without losing their strength or integrity. These types of fasteners are commonly used in industries such as aerospace and automotive.