Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Does this have a formula?

1. Sep 28, 2014 #1
    If we hit this quadrangle board(see the attachment) with a small disc on one of its wall, at a certain point with a certain angle, it will hit the four wall many times.

Can we determine at what angle and at what point, the small disc will hit on the wall after n hit on the wall.

That is, can it have a formula?

Also when a computer shows the result, does it calculate for each hit on the wall and then reach, where the final hit will be.

Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2014 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

You can calculate each individual collision, sure. Do that n times for the result. Due to rounding errors, the prediction will become bad if n is too large.

4. Sep 28, 2014 #3
    I mean, can there be a general formula, that can determine the angle where it will hit after n collision.

5. Sep 29, 2014 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Not in general, as you have to calculate the correct border every time. For special cases (like rectangles, some triangles and so on), yes there is.

6. Oct 6, 2014 #5
    Does this mean, for a specific side a,b,c,d(except special cases you mentioned which are symmetry) the hit on the wall, will be said to be irregular. If irregular, then isn't it become random???

I know it cannot be said to be random, as the hit depend upon the position where the previous hit was. It is just that, it cannot be determined through a general formula. If I'm right, just like the generation of Prime numbers.

7. Oct 6, 2014 #6

mfb

2016 Award

It is deterministic, not random. It is not even chaotic in the mathematical way, but it certainly shares some properties with chaotic systems.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook