Does this hint of entanglement within protons suggest new physics?

In summary, the researchers studied color confinement and entropy resulting from entanglement within a proton using CMS data. Their results suggest that quarks and gluons are entangled and further verification is needed. The study is driven by the unknown dynamics of QCD and their approach may be biased towards the outcome. The study provides a new perspective on QCD and the authors argue that partons have been studied without considering their entanglement within the proton. Coauthor Kharzeev has discussed the quantum states of subregions within the proton and the possible relation to CFT. The study of entanglement in QFT is not a new topic, with previous findings in the Reeh-Schlieder theorem and AdS/CFT holograph
member 656954
TL;DR Summary
Noting that this study does not yet appear to be peer reviewed - and that the LHC data only provides a "strong direct indication" - does quantum entanglement at sub-nucleonic scales suggest new physics or is it entirely expected within the Standard Model?
I'm happy to admit that I am struggling to digest this recent arXiv paper - https://arxiv.org/abs/1904.11974 - but I am interested in whether its reasoning and provisional conclusion seems insightful or merely interesting.

My summary of their work is that the researchers consider colour confinement as an example of the EPR paradox at the sub-nucleonic scale, and so used CMS data to study the entropy resulting from entanglement within the proton to test for this. Their results suggest that quarks and gluons are entangled, with an acknowledgment that verification via electron-proton and electron-ion collisions at small x is needed, as well as studies of real-time evolution of quantum entanglement in high-energy processes.

The underlying driver for their study is the unknown dynamics of QCD and in particular, that the hard processes used to probe the parton structure lead to the view of partons as independent constituents that carry different fractions of the nucleon's momentum, which has consequences for entropy within their configuration space.

Given that the researchers were looking for an effect, and the basis for their comparison is Monte Carlo simulation, I am mindful that their approach might be skewed toward the outcome.

Still, a strong direct indication does warrant further investigation, but my question really is whether this represents hints of things beyond the Standard Model, or merely confirmation of it?

Physics news on Phys.org
There is nothing beyond the standard model here, but there is a new perspective on QCD.

Suppose we think of a proton as a superposition of classical field configurations. If we then focus on a particular spatial region within the proton, there will be a corresponding "density matrix" which is a truncation of the proton-wide superposition-of-fields to just that region.

Now consider two such subregions of the proton. Each will have its own density matrix. If we start with just the density matrices of the subregions, and try to reassemble the overall wavefunction of the proton, we are lacking some information. We also need to know how the subregions were entangled with each other, in order to know how they fit together into the larger quantum state.

(I will note that I am proceeding here, by analogy with how this works for finite-dimensional entangled quantum systems. Generalizing to quantum fields will introduce new technicalities, but the principle that to reassemble a quantum whole from its parts, you also need to know how the parts were entangled, must still be valid.)

In effect, these authors are saying that partons have been studied without regard for the way they are entangled within the proton, and that the experimental data actually confirms their enhanced analysis which does take into account inter-parton entanglement.

You can see some of this described in recent slides by coauthor Kharzeev. For example, from slide 15 forwards, he talks about quantum states of subregions within the proton.

For me the most intriguing part is slide 27 forwards, "Possible relation to CFT", because I think it could relate to the description of the proton in the "infinite momentum frame", where it looks like a two-dimensional pancake, and to some of the mysteries of "pomerons", "odderons", and "Regge theory" pointed out in a series of posts by PF user @Anashim.

I will also point out that the study of entanglement, and entanglement entropy, in QFT is not a new topic. The Reeh-Schlieder theorem revealed long ago that the vacuum state of a QFT exhibits entanglement (because of zero-point energy / vacuum fluctuations), and it has also been a big topic in AdS/CFT holography (e.g. Ryu-Takayanagi formula), which is probably connected to the pomeron stuff I previously mentioned.

Likes vanhees71 and member 656954
Appreciate your detailed but accessible reply, @mitchell porter, and esp. the references, I will work through them as best I can. I find QM in general challenging to conceptualize, and QCD more so, so each incremental improvement in my understanding is a win!

Likes berkeman

1. What is entanglement within protons?

Entanglement within protons refers to the phenomenon in which the quantum states of two or more protons become correlated and cannot be described independently. This means that the state of one proton is dependent on the state of the other, even if they are physically separated.

2. How is entanglement within protons measured?

Entanglement within protons is measured through various experimental techniques, such as quantum tomography and Bell inequality tests. These methods allow scientists to determine the degree of correlation between the quantum states of the protons and confirm the presence of entanglement.

3. What implications does entanglement within protons have on physics?

The presence of entanglement within protons suggests that there may be new physics at play beyond our current understanding. It challenges traditional concepts of locality and causality, and could potentially lead to new discoveries and advancements in quantum mechanics.

4. Can entanglement within protons be observed in everyday life?

No, entanglement within protons is a phenomenon that occurs at the subatomic level and cannot be observed in everyday life. It requires highly controlled laboratory conditions and specialized equipment to detect and measure.

5. How does entanglement within protons relate to other quantum phenomena?

Entanglement within protons is just one of many quantum phenomena that have been observed and studied by scientists. It is closely related to other concepts such as superposition, quantum tunneling, and quantum entanglement in larger systems. These phenomena are all interconnected and contribute to our understanding of the quantum world.