Existence of Integral for (x^4 -x^6) / (x^2) from 0 to 4

In summary: Vsmith196 is working on the assumption that ##f(0)## is undefined, but that the limit ##lim_{x \to 0}f(x)## exists. This is not the only possibility. You can also assume that ##f(0)## is undefined, and that the limit does not exist. In that case the integral would not exist. This is a "worse" discontinuity, but it is still possible.In summary, the integral of (x^4 -x^6) / (x^2) from 0 to 4 exists, despite the presence of a hole at 0. The denominator can be factored out and it is not an asymptote. The function is equal to
Vsmith196
I was asked to take the integral of (x^4 -x^6) / (x^2) from 0 to 4. Does this exist? Although there is a hole at 0, the limit exists. And the denominator factors out. It's not an asymptote. Please let me know. I can see both reasons why it would and why it wouldn't.

Physics news on Phys.org
The integral exists.

The function you have to integrate is equal to ##x^2-x^4##, and that is a nice polynomial.

The "problem" with ##x=0## is not relevant. You can set your function in ##x=0## to anything you want, that won't change the value of the integral from 0 to 4. Of course, it makes sense to define the function in ##x=0## using the same formula as used for the other points, so you get a function that is continuous etc ... everywhere.

Said differently, your function doesn't have a singularity in 0, as 0 is a point of continuity of your function.

Last edited:
Likes Vsmith196
Vsmith196 said:
I was asked to take the integral of (x^4 -x^6) / (x^2) from 0 to 4. Does this exist? Although there is a hole at 0, the limit exists. And the denominator factors out. It's not an asymptote. Please let me know. I can see both reasons why it would and why it wouldn't.

You should use the definition of an improper integral:

##\int_{0}^{4}f(x)dx = \lim_{\epsilon \rightarrow 0^+}\int_{\epsilon}^{4}f(x)dx##

Then it's clear?

Likes Vsmith196
I'm not in calculus II yet. I haven't learned improper integrals.
PeroK said:
You should use the definition of an improper integral:

##\int_{0}^{4}f(x)dx = \lim_{\epsilon \rightarrow 0^+}\int_{\epsilon}^{4}f(x)dx##

Then it's clear?

I think so. Although, I'm still in Calc I, and I haven't been taught improper integrals. All I've been taught is that if the problem isn't continuous due to a vertical asymptote, it doesn't exist. This problem was on my test yesterday.

PeroK said:
You should use the definition of an improper integral

This is not an improper integral, as it was clearly explained in previous post.

geoffrey159 said:
This is not an improper integral, as it was clearly explained in previous post.

I guess it depends on your definitions. I'd say ##f## is not continuous at ##x = 0## because ##f(0)## is not defined. It's a removable discontinuity. I can't see anything wrong in tackling a removable discontinuity by treating it as an improper integral.

Likes geoffrey159
Vsmith196 said:
All I've been taught is that if the problem isn't continuous due to a vertical asymptote, it doesn't exist.
On a side note, a definite integral can exist even with a vertical asymptote.
For example ##\int_{0}^{1}\frac {1}{\sqrt{x}}dx=2##, and the function has a vertical asymptote at ##x=0##.

Likes geoffrey159
I think that @Vsmith196 's teacher expected the examinees to just assume that ##f(0)=0##, without giving it a second thought. Kudos to Vsmith196 for noticing that this choice, while "reasonable", is still a choice that has to be made.

Likes PeroK

1. What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept used to calculate the area under a curve or the accumulation of a quantity over an interval. It is represented by the symbol ∫ and is commonly used in calculus.

2. How do you know if an integral exists?

An integral exists if the function being integrated is continuous over the interval and has a finite value. This can be determined by checking for any discontinuities or infinite values in the function.

3. What happens if an integral doesn't exist?

If an integral does not exist, it means that the function being integrated does not meet the necessary criteria for integration. This could be due to discontinuities, infinite values, or the function not being defined over the entire interval.

4. Can you provide an example of an integral that does not exist?

One example of an integral that does not exist is ∫(1/x) dx from 0 to 1. This function has a discontinuity at x=0 and is not defined at that point, making the integral not exist.

5. How is the existence of an integral related to the area under a curve?

The existence of an integral is directly related to the area under a curve. If the integral exists, it means that the area under the curve can be accurately calculated. If the integral does not exist, it means that the area under the curve cannot be calculated using traditional integration methods.