1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Does this limit exist lim e^(r^2)/(cos(t)sin(t)) for (r,t)->(0,0)

1. Apr 12, 2005 #1
    In my exam the question was to determine the existence of this limit
    [tex] \lim_{(r,t)\rightarrow(0,0)} \frac{e^{r^2}}{\cos{t}\sin{t}} [/tex]

now i wrote the numerator has no t associated with it so grows or shrinks without bounds, the same applies for the denominator...
    so the limit does not exist

is this a good reason

another question was
    [tex] \lim_{(x,y)\rightarrow(0,0)} \frac{\sin{xy}}{xy} [/tex]
    i substituted xy = u and got [tex] \lim_{u \rightarrow 0} \frac{\sin{u}}{u} = 1 [/tex]

is this the correct method?
    Am i right?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 12, 2005 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The numerator does not "grow or shrink without bound". As r goes to 0, the numerator goes to 1.

However, you are correct that the denominator goes to 0 as t does no matter what r is. Since the numerator goes to 1, what does that tell you about the fraction?

I was a bit suspicious about your second method, but yes, it works, since u is a variable, you are not assuming any relationship between x and y.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?