Exploring the Existence of Limits: A Guide to Understanding f(x) = 1; x=5

• Thread starter Andrax
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary, the conversation discusses confusion about a function f(x) and whether it is continuous at x = 5. The function is defined as F(x) = 1 when x = 5 and 0 otherwise. The question is whether the limit of F(x) as x approaches 5 is 1 or 0, and if this means the function is continuous at x = 5. The conversation also mentions using epsilon to prove the function's continuity and the concept that the value of a function at the value of the limit does not matter. The conversation concludes by stating that the limit is 1, making the function not continuous at x = 5.
Andrax
This has confused me a bit
I'm typing on my phone so I can't use math symbols sorry
F(x) = 1 ; x=5
0 otherwise (x=/5)
Does lim X approaches 5 f(x) exists and = 1(f continuous at 5) ? Or does it not(because when we approach a were also in the x=/a space so there is also 1)
can someone be really kind and Prove it using epsilon?
I know you can just put alpha = any number you want since 0<epsilon always
I think I'm confusing these functions with the ones like sinx..

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Andrax said:
F(x) = 1 ; x=a
0 otherwise (x=/a)
:
when we approach a were also in the x=/a space so there is also 1)
Not at all sure what you mean by that last statement. When x ≠ a, F(x) = 0, yes? What is F(1/n), n = 1, 2, ...?

haruspex said:
Not at all sure what you mean by that last statement. When x ≠ 5, F(x) = 0, yes? What is F(1/n), n = 1, 2, ...?
I'm sorry forgot to set the integer fixed

F(x) : R--) R
0 x=5
1 x=/5
Is f continuous at 0?

Andrax said:
F(x) : R--) R
0 x=5
1 x=/5
Is f continuous at 0?

What is the *definition* for f(x) to be continuous at x = 0? Does your f satisfy that definition? Show your work!

The point of this exercise is to make the point that the value of a function at the value of the limit does not matter.
That is

$$\lim _{x \rightarrow a} \mathop{f}(x) $$
Does not depend on the value of f(a)

Perhaps there is a function G that you know of such that
G(x)=A if x=5
G(x)=F(x) otherwise (x=/5)
Choose G(5) whatever you like. So that you know the limit.

Ray Vickson said:
What is the *definition* for f(x) to be continuous at x = 0? Does your f satisfy that definition? Show your work!

I'm sorry but I had a huge confusion with this, I'm not sure if when it approaches 5 is it f(5) or not..
I used epsilon delta but. I can't decide what f(x) should I be using
lx-5l<alpha. lf(x)-f(5)l< epsilon..
What f(x) should I use
Just to mention this is not my first time with limits but out of nowhere I found myself unable to do this..

lurflurf said:
The point of this exercise is to make the point that the value of a function at the value of the limit does not matter.
That is

$$\lim _{x \rightarrow a} \mathop{f}(x) $$
Does not depend on the value of f(a)

Perhaps there is a function G that you know of such that
G(x)=A if x=5
G(x)=F(x) otherwise (x=/5)
Choose G(5) whatever you like. So that you know the limit.

What are you saying is that the limit of my function x approaches 5 is. 1 and not 0?
We can choose g(5)=100 that doesn't mean limit x approaches 5 is 100?

thanks everyone I've got it the limit = 1 => f is not continious at 5
this whole problem was caused by an exercise @ spivak's calculus it was f is discon tinious at l but i thought it is continious .

1. What is a limit in mathematics?

A limit in mathematics is a value that a function or sequence approaches as the input or index approaches a certain value. It represents the behavior of the function or sequence near the specified value.

2. How do you know if a limit exists?

A limit exists if the function or sequence approaches a single value as the input or index approaches a certain value. This means that the left and right-hand limits must be equal at that point, and the value must not be undefined.

3. What does it mean if a limit does not exist?

If a limit does not exist, it means that the function or sequence does not approach a single value as the input or index approaches a certain value. This can happen if the left and right-hand limits are not equal, or if the value is undefined.

4. Can a limit be infinite?

Yes, a limit can be infinite. This occurs when the function or sequence approaches positive or negative infinity as the input or index approaches a certain value. In this case, the limit is said to be divergent.

5. How do you calculate the limit of a function?

The limit of a function can be calculated by evaluating the function at the specified value and then using algebraic techniques such as factoring or simplifying to determine the limit. Alternatively, you can use a graphing calculator or a table of values to approximate the limit.