Does this look right? Cannonball question

• Thread starter mathatesme
  • Start date
In summary, The cannonball is fired at a 45 degree angle from the horizontal with an initial position at the origin and an initial velocity of 100sqrt(2) ft/sec. The trajectory is given by y=x-(x/25)^2 where y>=0. It will hit the ground after traveling 312.5 feet and its maximum height will be 156.25 feet. The equation for the maximum height, m(a) = 2*-(1/625)a + 1 = 0, is equivalent to -(1/312)a + 312 = 0. The calculation for the maximum height is -(1/625)*312.5^2+312.5 = 156.25.
mathatesme
Cannonball fired on 45 deg angle from horizontal. Initial position is origin. initial velocity 100sqrt(2) ft/sec. Trajectory is y=x-(x/25)^2 where y>=0.

How far till it hits the ground? 312.5

What's the max height? 156.25

Here is what I got m(a) = 2*-(1/625)a + 1 = 0 which = -(1/312)a + 312 = 0

-(1/625)*312.5^2+312.5 = 156.25

Do you agree?

Physics news on Phys.org
mathatesme said:
Trajectory is y=x-(x/25)^2 where y>=0.
Here is what I got m(a) = 2*-(1/625)a + 1 = 0 which = -(1/312)a + 312 = 0

-(1/625)*312.5^2+312.5 = 156.25

Do you agree?

Yep, I agree. :smile:

Last edited:
Nope... his is right. He has the [itex]25[/itex] squared too~

Data said:
Nope... his is right. He has the [itex]25[/itex] squared too~
Argh, my brain just blurred over this one. :rofl:

I made that mistake too, for a second, and was about to post it when I noticed he was right :tongue:

1. How do you determine if something looks right?

As a scientist, I use a combination of data analysis, experimental results, and theoretical models to determine whether something looks right or not. I also rely on the principles and laws of physics to guide my analysis.

2. Can "looks" be quantified in scientific terms?

Yes, the concept of "looks" can be quantified through various scientific methods such as visual observation, measurement of physical properties, and analysis of data. For example, in physics, the concept of symmetry can be used to quantify how "right" something looks.

3. Are there any objective criteria for determining if something looks right?

There are some objective criteria that scientists use to determine if something looks right. These include mathematical equations, physical laws, and established standards within a particular field of study. However, there may also be some subjective elements involved in the evaluation process.

4. How can you tell if something looks right if you don't have any prior knowledge or experience?

In this case, I would rely on the scientific method to systematically gather data and analyze it. This could involve conducting experiments, consulting with experts in the field, and using computational models to make predictions. Through this process, I can determine if something looks right based on the evidence gathered.

5. Is the concept of "looking right" subjective or objective?

The concept of "looking right" can be both subjective and objective. As scientists, we strive to make objective evaluations based on evidence and established principles. However, there may be some subjective elements involved, such as personal perception and interpretation of data. Ultimately, it is important to have a balance between objectivity and subjectivity in scientific research.