Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Does this make any sense?

1. Mar 10, 2006 #1
    if a tachyon travels faster than the speed of light would an antitachyon travel slower?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 10, 2006 #2

DaveC426913

Gold Member

A tachyon defines all FTL particles, not a specific particle.

If you were to define "anti-tachyons", they would simply be our garden-variety STL electrons, protons, neutrons etc.

4. Mar 10, 2006 #3

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

I see your point; if the antiparticle of the electron (travelling slower than light on a timelike worldline) travels "backward in time" (according to Feynmann) i.e. FTL on a spacelike worldline, then it is a tachyon and its antiparticle is the timelike electron.

People keep telling us the "backward in time" is just notational; the difference between the electron wave function and the positron wave function in QED can be expressed by putting in t -> -t. So I don't think you can push this statement to draw conclusions from it.

The positron is visibly a real particle that leaves timelike tracks in detectors.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?