Does this P.D.E have analytic solutions?

• Thread starter Kplex
  • Start date
In summary, this PDE is not solvable for all values of a and there is no specific reference that indicates the cases where it is not solvable.
Kplex
I would like to know whether this P.D.E is solvable and if yes, for which values of a.

2 (y Cos[a] + x Sin[a]) - 4 (y Sin[a] - x Cos[a]) f[x, y]
- 2 (y Cos[a] + x Sin[a]) (f[x, y])^2
+ ((x^2) Cos[a] - 2 x y Sin[a] - (y^2) Cos[a]) D[f[x, y], x]
- ((x^2) Sin[a] + 2 x y Cos[a] - (y^2) Sin[a]) D[f[x, y], y] == 0

I have tried to solve it for the case where a=0
2 y + 4 x f[x,y] - 2 y f[x,y]^2 - 2 x y (f^(0,1))[x,y] + (x^2-y^2) (f^(1,0))[x,y]==0,
on MATHEMATICA but after 3 hours it gave me no result.

Then I utilised the method of characteristics and expressed the a=0 case as a system of three ODES
dx/dt = (x^2 - y^2)
dy/dt = (-2xy)
dw/dt = 2yf^2 - 2y - 4xf
but MATHEMATICA still gave me no results. So I suspect that this PDE might not have an analytic solution.
Is this PDE solvable, and if not could you please indicate a reference which indicates which cases of PDES are non solvable? I am only interested in Analytic solutions.

Any kind of help will be most appreciated.
Thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Unfortunately, this PDE does not have an analytic solution in general. It is possible to solve it for certain specific values of a, such as a = 0, but it cannot be solved for arbitrary values of a. There are no references that indicate which cases of PDEs are nonsolvable, since each PDE needs to be solved separately depending on its specific form and parameters.

1. What is a P.D.E?

A P.D.E stands for a partial differential equation. It is an equation that contains partial derivatives of an unknown multivariable function.

2. What are analytic solutions?

An analytic solution to a P.D.E is a solution that can be expressed as a finite combination of elementary functions such as polynomials, trigonometric functions, and exponential functions.

3. How do I know if a P.D.E has an analytic solution?

There is no general method to determine if a P.D.E has an analytic solution. However, there are certain techniques and methods, such as separation of variables and the method of characteristics, that can be used to solve specific types of P.D.Es and determine if an analytic solution exists.

4. Are analytic solutions always the best solution?

Not necessarily. While analytic solutions are desirable because they provide a closed-form expression for the solution, there are cases where numerical or approximate solutions may be more practical or accurate.

5. Can a P.D.E have multiple analytic solutions?

Yes, a P.D.E can have multiple analytic solutions. This is because there can be different techniques and methods used to solve a P.D.E, and each may result in a different analytic solution. Additionally, some P.D.Es may have families of solutions, resulting in multiple analytic solutions.