Does this series converge.

• Thread starter rcmango
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Series
In summary, the conversation revolved around determining whether the series infinity n(sin(1/n)) converges. The participants discussed using the squeeze theorem and other convergence tests, as well as applying the general formula for approaching zero. Ultimately, it was concluded that the series diverges as the limit of the terms as n goes to infinity is not 0.
rcmango

Homework Statement

Does the series infinity n(sin(1/n)) converge?
E
n=1

Homework Equations

n

and

sin(1/n)

The Attempt at a Solution

The equation sin(1/n) looks familiar, maybe i could use the squeeze theorem?

something like -1 <= sin(1/n) <= 1

i'm not sure where to go after this though, or if I'm even on the right track?
please help.
thankyou.

Physics news on Phys.org
First check:
Does the general term go to zero as n goes to infinity?

Yes You could use the squeeze theorem and get -|x|< sin(1/x) < |x|, but that doesn't seem the help you much. Do what arildno said, maybe a few other convergence tests, try using Taylor Series? I'd say it does, but can't show you right now.

Since this is not an alternating series, then only answering the question posed by Arildno is enough to solve the problem.

Daniel.

There is a general formula: as x approaches 0, (sin x)/x approaches 1. So you can apply this in your question. Let n=1/x, then you modify the equation, then you will get the answer that the series diverge, since the series does not have a sum.

read next post.

Last edited:
arildno said:
First check:
Does the general term go to zero as n goes to infinity?

yes. i would say as n goes to infinity, it approaches 0.
the reasoning is because starting with small numbers it gets larger around .01745...

don't know where to go from here.

thanks for all the feedback, i found it all useful.

rcmango said:
yes. i would say as n goes to infinity, it approaches 0.
the reasoning is because starting with small numbers it gets larger around .01745...

don't know where to go from here.

thanks for all the feedback, i found it all useful.

Numbers at a certain point don't really tell you much about the behavior at infinity. Take the limit of the terms as n goes to infinity, if it isn't 0 what can you say about the series?

d_leet said:
Numbers at a certain point don't really tell you much about the behavior at infinity. Take the limit of the terms as n goes to infinity, if it isn't 0 what can you say about the series?

that it diverges.

rcmango said:
that it diverges.

yes it does

1. What does it mean for a series to converge?

Convergence in regards to a series means that the sum of all terms in the series approaches a finite value as the number of terms increases towards infinity.

2. How do you determine if a series converges or diverges?

To determine convergence or divergence, you can use various tests such as the ratio test, comparison test, or integral test. These tests can help determine the behavior of the series and if it approaches a finite value or not.

3. Can a series converge to a negative value?

Yes, a series can converge to a negative value. Convergence is based on the limit of the series as the number of terms approaches infinity, regardless of the sign of the value.

4. Can a divergent series have a finite sum?

No, by definition, a divergent series does not have a finite sum. This means that as the number of terms increases towards infinity, the sum of all terms will not approach a finite value.

5. What is the significance of determining if a series converges or diverges?

Knowing if a series converges or diverges is important in many areas of mathematics and science. It can help determine the behavior of functions, approximate values, and make predictions about the behavior of a system or process.