Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Does this work for a Laptop?

1. May 6, 2004 #1
    http://www.nexustek.nl/tdd3000.htm

This product, which I currently have, claims that the heatpipe system can draw out the heat... well... As you can see on that site the heatpipe is at the worst places beacuse the center of the laptop is where it displaces most heat and where a few heatpipes should be...

I modded this by adding a few extra fans via USB. :)

But I dunno how those are working because my ACPI d4mn isn't updating my CPU temp. :( :(

Does this model physically work or does what it claims?

Anyone? Anyone? :)

2. jcsd
  3. May 10, 2004 #2
    1. Bring two identical pots of water to a boil.

2. Remove pots from heat, wait a few minutes.

3. Place one pot on the laptop cooler, place the other one on whatever table you normally rest the laptop on.

4. Put a thermometer in each pot; record temperature versus time for several minutes.

5. If you're not interested in doing this yourself, find a middle school kid and get her to do it as a science fair project.

P

4. May 10, 2004 #3
    haha.... I did that for the the cooler already... the heatsink part of it doesn't seem to disappate heat... Rather, the whole cooler heats up and the heatpipe gets hot... But it doesn't "move" anywhere...

5. May 11, 2004 #4
    If the pipe heats up, then it's increasing the surface area over which heat can dissipate into the cooler environment.

Now that I think about it, though, that pipe is not that large compared to the surface area of the laptop that's already getting fairly hot.

I still think you should compare two pots with thermometers (as opposed to qualitative 'it-still-feels-hot' measurements), but I don't think they'll be much of a difference.

The wicking-system might work, but it really needs a good radiator, maybe in the form of a mesh 'skirt' that hangs down over your knees when the machine sits on your lap.

P

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?