1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Does this Workload look Doable?

1. Jun 11, 2012 #1
    Right now, this is what I'm enrolled in for my fall quarter as a Sophomore:

1. Materials Engineering - General overview of MATE.

2. Linear Analysis II - Laplace Transforms, series solns to diffeqs, Gram-Schmidt orthog., Sturm Louville theory, Fourier Series.

3. General Physics III - E&M

4. Engineering Dynamics - No explanation needed.

5. Mechanics of Materials - Stresses/strains due to axial, torsional and flexural loadings on beams, bars, and shafts.

I figure the Materials Engineering class will be pretty easy, Physics will hopefully be mostly review, and Linear shouldn't be too bad. Dynamics will be my hardest class, with Mech. of Mate. as the runner-up.

The question is- do you think I'll be able to take these classes and still have somewhat of a life? I'm dedicated enough to put in the necessary work, but I'd like to enjoy this quarter at least a little bit...

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 11, 2012 #2
    Looks a bit light.
    Maybe add another two or three courses?

4. Jun 11, 2012 #3
    Surely you jest sir!

5. Jun 11, 2012 #4
    I found 3 physics courses and a math course to be just too many numbers for me. Too many different formulas to memorize, unfortunately. E.G Maxwell's equation in differential and integral form, spherical harmonics, formula for hermite polynomials, coupled oscillator equations etc... I imagine engineering would have more to memorize such as specific qualities of materials etc.

If I were you I'd consider putting off one course for a semester and nailing a 4.0 in four of those classes. That would still be a great achievement.

Good luck

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook