Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Does Time Dilation Make Me See More?

1. Jul 12, 2004 #1
    I have heard that if I were traveling at the speed of light, things I'd see would appear longer along the horizontal axis. Does this mean I see more of what they are?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 13, 2004 #2
    when you travel close to thh speed of light, objects do become elongated relative to you by a factor of: L / (sqrt(1-v^2/c^2)). The objects you observe will seem to be elongated but you do not see more of them, you see the same amount, since space/time starts to elongate relative to you, the object actually does not, so you actually see the same amount.

4. Jul 14, 2004 #3

LURCH

Science Advisor

Although I have heard that you would see different parts of each object, which would not be visible at slower speeds. For example, a square or rectangular object would appear to you as though you were seeing the far side of it; "seeing around the corner" so to speak.

5. Jul 14, 2004 #4
    I'm not sure if I'm misunderstanding something here, but I was pretty sure that the length contracts along the direction of motion. Also about the phenomenon LURCH mentioned, I'm not entirely sure, but I think that is due to the length contraction. Because the length contracts, the light rays from the far side can reach the observer.

6. Jul 14, 2004 #5

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Right. The measured length of a moving object is shorter along its direction of travel by a factor of [itex]\gamma = 1/\sqrt{1 - v^2/c^2}[/itex] than its so-called proper length. Thus [itex]L = L_0/\gamma[/itex].
    Pretty close. This issue here is what you see, as opposed to what you measure. Rather than a shrunken object, what you would actually see (or photograph with a really high-speed camera) would be a rotated object. This apparent rotation is called the Penrose-Terrell rotation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?