1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Does time exist?

1. Oct 1, 2012 #1
    Does time exist? I'm am not so sure it does.

my reasoning is;
    1. time is a measurement of frequency of change of energy state.
    2. controlled energy changes are constant, and don't vary, so if time existed we would see variations.

now I know that the twin paradox is the go-to for proving that time exists.
    In the twin paradox, the traveler is moving close to c.
    since e=mc^2, e must remain static.
    I believe that to compensate for a static e value for each atom at immense speed, the atomic changes slow. So, atom change varies with the energy from speed, causing a slowed aging process at high speeds and a faster aging process at lower speeds.

So, basically i think that we have fooled ourselves into believing time. When all we are measuring is recognized energy changes, and it also allows for a measurement of our current energy state, especially since we are all on the same space rock, moving at the same speed.

I know I sound like sound like a mad scientist, and I am probably wrong about a lot of things, I would just like to know whether this makes sense or not.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2012 #2
    no.

If you want to see many discussions on this subject, just do a search.

PS: you'll have to define what you mean by 'exist' and 'makes sense'....

4. Oct 1, 2012 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Thread closed for Moderation...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook